The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Encgoatlady
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a small group of goats, and my last doe just passed on this morning so I have an all wether herd for the very first time. Does anybody know if this is a bad thing for any reason? I have 4 wethers, all very sweet boys that have always gotten along beautifully.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss.

There is no reason to not have an all wether herd. Assuming your doe was herd queen, one wether should take on that roll. It may take them weeks to work out the new hierarchy or it may be all set already. If you see some extra jostling or sparring don't let it hurt your feelings, they will settle down. But do maintain your position and don't let any challenge you!

How old are the boys?

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Hi all. I have a small group of goats, and my last doe just passed on this morning so I have an all wether herd for the very first time. Does anybody know if this is a bad thing for any reason? I have 4 wethers, all very sweet boys that have always gotten along beautifully.
@NigerianNewbie they need know bout an all monk herd. :).

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Hi Encgoatlady. I am sorry for the loss of your doe.

Wether is my favorite gender of goat and my small herd is also known as The Monks. Your boys will make a fine herd together after they adjust to the doe being absent from the group. They may jostle around for a week or so until another leader and/or 2nd in command is picked among themselves and this is to be expected no matter the genders of the herd. They will form a tight knit herd group, sort of like a bachelor herd found with wild deer. Except, they will not be sparring with each other for breeding rights come rut season.

Since a wether goat has to have particular attention paid to the 2 to1 calcium/phosphorus ratio in their diet, having all males makes this feeding requirement somewhat easier to achieve than having a mixed gender herd. I would be more than glad to help you figure out how to understand what the 2 to1 ratio means and consists of, if needed.

Enjoy your wether herd, they will make a wonderful unit together. Totally partial observation, they don't stink up themselves with buck perfume, get that hormonal buck surge during rut, spar with each other for breeding privileges, loose their conditioning because they've got lady goats on the brain, or escape their pen to service a doe. Just like you said, they are a group of totally sweet boys that aren't or won't be changed season to season by breeding influences.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I'll only add one thing to the excellent input above, I'd give an AC drench about once per month, as giving AC is valuable to wethers, and giving periodically is safer and more effective than giving it all the time.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
How are you doing with only wethers? Im into the freshness of kidds. I enjoy my bucks, does, and the fun of a herd. But when the babies get here..its like the whole world is new again. For me. I dont know how I would do with wethers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts