all most there

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by countryboy, Apr 7, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I seem to be telling my story of goats as it happens in my life. I'm on my way to being a goat herder. Ha Ha! I need ya'lls help. I have the goat, have the doe in milk, and now I have the milk stand.The question I have is,what do I need to start milking?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you need a milk pale (or a stainless steel pot works too). Something to clean the udder with and you are all set.

3. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thank you, you always have the answer. So I need a stainless steel pale. What do I need to clean the udder with? Are you talking about a warm wet cloth to wipe the udder? Also, what about pouring the milk into a filter? I must be buggy ya'll, but I really am thankful!

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    not a bug at all.

Yes a filter of some sort or strainer works real nice

Shaving the udder is real helpful too if you can - not manditory though.

I have used warm washcloth or just clorox wipes -- easier to store in the barn

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I milk into a plastic box or bucket as opposed to a proper milk pail. I also make sure my goats have always fresh bedding so I don't wash off the udder. I simply brush it off to remove any straw or hay that might have gotten stuck. If you wash, use a warm damp cloth. A rag will do.

You probably want a sieve to strain the milk too - I put a piece of kitchen towel on the sieve to work as a strainer - it's cheap and easy.

LW

6. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thanks for the advice. If it works for ya'll, it should work for me.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont make milking a big event. I milk and then strain then chill.

Chilling the milk is important. Check out the thread "how to properly handle milk" for some real good tips

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Milking will eventually become second nature to you and your doe!

As Stacey said, no big deal, chilling it quick and a clean container to milk into is really the only thing that needs to be "the big deal"

Since I do have the short girls....the stainless pails are too tall to fit under them...I use a plastic pie filling pail with a lid...it's 6 iunches tall and holds 3 quarts....I also hand wash it after every use and do a diluted bleach rinse.

Milking will be a fun and relaxing experience for you and by no means does it have to be a "complicated" process.

9. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I think I would use a pail, it doesn't matter if it is pale :wink: sorry English teacher in me. :shades:
    I bought a reusable coffee filter to strain and use baby wipes to clean the udder before hand.