All new to me in Western PA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MRichmond, Aug 4, 2020.

1. MRichmond

MRichmond Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Western PA
    640C6F1A-1CD0-47F1-A072-F5A4D6415AE1.jpeg 99C4CE05-742B-4DA4-835D-38BB33BB48F1.jpeg 9DD9671A-B447-4D8E-935C-49E101A8AE0C.jpeg
    Hi All,

My name is Maria. My partner and I are recent retirees, courtesy of covid. Since we’re home all of the time, we’ve surrounded ourselves with animals to keep us company. We have 5 poodles and a terrier, 4 cats and 8 chickens. We share eggs with our neighbors.

A few weeks ago, a friend posted pictures of her goats on Facebook. They were adorable and very entertaining, so I looked at Craigslist. Omg. I found 2 little Nigerian Dwarf wethers about 45 minutes away that will be coming home to us in September, once they are weaned. We have a 2 stall prefab barn coming and an area almost 1/2 an acre with a 4 1/2’ post and rail fence that’s lined with chain link for their eventual home, but we have a smaller run right off the porch that they can stay in until the barn gets here.

Not for doing anything by halves, we also have 2 weanling mini horses that will be coming to us sometime in October. I’m reading everything I can find on caring for goats and mini horses. I’ve located a vet and am working on finding hay. I look forward to learning lots here! It should be a very interesting fall and winter.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

3. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    Welcome!:groupwelcome: There is a lot of education here. Enjoy all you animals!

4. MRichmond

MRichmond Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Western PA
    Thanks, everybody!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Welcome to TGS. This is a great forum for learning and sharing..ask lots of questions. One thing pops in my mind first of is.. are your boys already wethered or will this be done later down the road?

7. MRichmond

MRichmond Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Western PA
    Thanks, happybleats! They’re already wethered and disbudded, so at least that’s out of the way.

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas

9. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Welcome to TGS
    :groupwelcome:

Glad to have you here.

10. MRichmond

MRichmond Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Western PA
    Thank you for the information. I should have done the research before I bought them, but at least
    I know for the future so I can do my best to keep them healthy.

11. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Goat Spot!

Moers kiko boars and MRichmond like this.
  12. friesian49

friesian49 Active Member

Jul 2, 2018
    PA
    Welcome to the group! I'm also in western PA - I use Lash Veterinary out of Kittanning, they are awesome! Also used Rainbow, they were great but a bit of a pickle to get a farm call. Best of luck with your crew!

13. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    :holidaywelcome: So glad to hear Something good came from Covid! Glad you are here. Alot of Great people and information on thos site!

14. MRichmond

MRichmond Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Western PA
    We’re getting closer to getting the boys...we pick them up the first week of September. We picked up hay on Tuesday, so we’re set for winter.
    F05DA9E9-D494-4CD3-AB13-0C8B2352CB1C.jpeg

15. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Awwwww what a cute picture! Love it!!!

CaramelKittey likes this.
  16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. MRichmond

MRichmond Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Western PA
    I just got the call that the boys are ready to go, but we still have to work out a time for me to pick them up. It turns out that they had not been banded yet, so we can give them some time to grow. I’m really relieved about that because I want to give them the best chance of being healthy. I put a gate up on the dog run off the porch. They also have a couple of smallish spools to jump on, well back from the fence, so they can’t climb over, a hay rack and feed and water buckets.

They’ll live there until our little barn is delivered. Hopefully, it will get here in a month or so, before the weather turns. We plan on spending lots of time with them. I can let them out in the yard (about 1/2 acre fenced in) to graze, too, but since they’ll be tiny, I think they’ll be safer close to the house at night. We have a large plastic dog crate for them to get out of the rain and snuggle up for now, but they’ll have an 6x8 stall to themselves when the barn gets here.
    I’m like a kid at Christmas...I can’t wait!