The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Grass Terrestrial animal Snout Livestock Horse Plant Ecoregion Vertebrate Working animal Dog Dog breed Carnivore Water dog Collar
Hi All,

My name is Maria. My partner and I are recent retirees, courtesy of covid. Since we're home all of the time, we've surrounded ourselves with animals to keep us company. We have 5 poodles and a terrier, 4 cats and 8 chickens. We share eggs with our neighbors.

A few weeks ago, a friend posted pictures of her goats on Facebook. They were adorable and very entertaining, so I looked at Craigslist. Omg. I found 2 little Nigerian Dwarf wethers about 45 minutes away that will be coming home to us in September, once they are weaned. We have a 2 stall prefab barn coming and an area almost 1/2 an acre with a 4 1/2' post and rail fence that's lined with chain link for their eventual home, but we have a smaller run right off the porch that they can stay in until the barn gets here.

Not for doing anything by halves, we also have 2 weanling mini horses that will be coming to us sometime in October. I'm reading everything I can find on caring for goats and mini horses. I've located a vet and am working on finding hay. I look forward to learning lots here! It should be a very interesting fall and winter.

·
Registered
31,517 Posts
Welcome to TGS. This is a great forum for learning and sharing..ask lots of questions. One thing pops in my mind first of is.. are your boys already wethered or will this be done later down the road?

·
Registered
31,517 Posts
They're already wethered

Being wethered so young offers its own set of issue. Urinary calculi is a serious condition where stones build up and goats can not pee them out. Postponing wethering until 4-6 months allows the urethra to grow in width. This help stones pass more easily. Since they are young when wethered, I would recommend a careful diet for your new boys to help prevent stones from forming. Keeping the urine PH to discourage stones by feeding Ammonium chloride daily as well as keeping diet at a 2:1 ratios of calcium and phos. Most feed pellets and loose minerals are already 2:1 but check to be sure that is what you have. Skip the sweet feed..grab pellet feed. Some feed already have AC in it but adding some extra to their water won't hurt. A good blend of grass hay and alfalfa is great if you ca find it..other wise offer alfalfa in hay, pellet or chaffhaye form. When boys are reaching a year old I would ween off pellet feed all together.

And please share pictures when you get them home...we love pictures!!

Best wishes

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just got the call that the boys are ready to go, but we still have to work out a time for me to pick them up. It turns out that they had not been banded yet, so we can give them some time to grow. I’m really relieved about that because I want to give them the best chance of being healthy. I put a gate up on the dog run off the porch. They also have a couple of smallish spools to jump on, well back from the fence, so they can’t climb over, a hay rack and feed and water buckets.

They’ll live there until our little barn is delivered. Hopefully, it will get here in a month or so, before the weather turns. We plan on spending lots of time with them. I can let them out in the yard (about 1/2 acre fenced in) to graze, too, but since they’ll be tiny, I think they’ll be safer close to the house at night. We have a large plastic dog crate for them to get out of the rain and snuggle up for now, but they’ll have an 6x8 stall to themselves when the barn gets here.
I’m like a kid at Christmas...I can’t wait!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts