All of the Rabbit Breeders out there

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by goatnutty, Mar 16, 2008.

1. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    How old do rabbits have to be to breed them?I usually wait till a year because I didn't know.

2. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    central Iowa
    They are able to breed as young as 4 months, so it's a good idea to separate them by then. You don't want them bred until they are at least 8 months or older. If you're comfortable waiting until they are a year old, then it is actually better for them. They are more mature.
    Andi in OK

3. gerald77

gerald77 New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    oklahoma
    it also depends on the size of the rabbit. the bigger the rabbit the longer the wait. a dwarf can breed earlier than say a flemish giant, and regular rabbits are somewhere inbetween those.

4. gnomes'n'goats

gnomes'n'goats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    The rabbit nerd arriveth!

First off- what breed is your bunny?
    Most rabbies are best bred when they are 7-10 months old by that time most buns are mature enough. I would advise breeding rabbits before they are a year old because it can be harder to get an older rabbit to conceive... especially the large breeds like flemish giants. (And yes I speak from personal experience.)
    Hope that helps. :p

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Well the only breed of doe that we have right now are New Zealands but we are looking at lops.

6. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Also so you know alot of first time does lose their first litter but not taking care of them or not having the litter in the box and spreading the babies everywhere. So I never count on a first litter from any doe. Although there are some that will do great. Just thought you should be warned. I always try to make sure at least 3 does are due at the same time that way there is a foster mom if needed. I have a couple nice holland lop does for sale( with pedigree) and some mini rexes, but I don't ship so that probably doesn't help you.

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I wish it helped.LOL I had a doe give birth to 3 dead babies and now I don't have any rabbits to show! :cry:

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    breed new zealands at 8 months.
    mini lops are bred at 6-7
    french lops - 8
    holland lops-7-9 ( the heads of the babies are huge, give the doe time to grown alot)
    english lops -7

hope this helped. if not PM me
    i know alot about rabbits