The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody! I've been a "lurker" for a while and really appreciate all the help and information provided in this community.

I'm a goat-keeper newbie, just picked up 2 wonderful little ND's, two weeks ago. The younger of the two (Cupcake - born March 14th) has started breathing a bit funny. I dont want want to be the over protective/neurotic keeper and jump to conclusions BUT I certainly don't want to ignore any signs. Cupcake has a bit of a wet nose, not "running" but wet with clear snot. She did have eye goobers two days ago, yellow/green in color; that has since cleared up. No temperature/fever - I try to test a couple times throughout the day to ensure I don't miss if there is one present. What concerns me is she has a bit of a raspy (lack of a better word) rattled breath. I tried to see if it was in her throat or from the lungs, I cannot confirm at this time. The "rasp" is not present when sitting but when she is eating or when you pick her up. She is drinking and eating and still loves her treats. She does cough a bit when she first starts chewing her cud, but I assume that is her coughing it up ???

Thank you for any advise you can offer. Please feel free to ask any questions on information I may have missed.

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
welcome : )

Lets first get a temp on her...this will tell us where to go next...: )

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
a good temp is between 101.5 and 103.5 : )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry - should have added that. It was 102 on my last check this AM. The highest I've noted was 102.7, that was yesterday afternoon.

Also, her "berries" seem normal and is showing no issues with urinating.

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
I would go with allergies then..her temp is very good...try a bit of benedryl ...maybe 3 cc for her size : ) check her temp twice a day for a few days see how it runs..once in the mid morning...then again early evening..Silent pnuemonia can be a sneaky thing....
a few things that could help are
B complex is a great support vit..and/or Nutra drench

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much Happybleats :)

Also, is there a "normal" weight range for ND's? She is only 10lbs, where her half-sister who is a week older is 14lbs.

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
humm..I dont raise ND...but in my standard kids...some run heavier then their siblings or same age herd mates....4 pound difference in a week is not bad IMO, I bet...Hopefully one of the many ND breeders will chime in on what to expect...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts