Allergies

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Hailee's Herd, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has had an allergy test or allergy shots. I plan on getting that done so I can maybe get a horse. I have really bad asthma and allergies and I really want a horse. So let me know if your shots worked and what you thought about them.
    Also, have any of you ever been around the Bashkir Curly horse, which is hypoallergenic?
    Thanks

2. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    I haven't gone thru that myself but my brother did. His asthma was so bad he slept in an oxygen tent. But after the tests and then getting the shots once a week for 6 yrs he is just fine. He's very athletic and active and today you never would know he ever had problems with asthma.

3. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks for responding!
    I got allergy tested. They have a scale from 1-4, 4 the worst.
    Horses were a 4. :cry: Ragweed and guinea pigs were too. Cats were a 3, dogs a 2.
    Now I have to get shots.

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    My cousin is also severely allergic to horses. She's getting allergy shots soon, I'll tell you how it goes. :wink: I personally like the Bashkir Curly. I've only been around one though and I'm not allergic. I hope it works out for you though cause horses are GREAT! :thumb:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I had to take my daughter to be tested a year ago and she was not allergic to any animals at all, BUT she is allergic to all the hay that we feed and EVERY melon there is, tomatoes, avocado's. So now she has to carry a EPI pin with her at all times. She also registered a 4++++, on those foods.

If you do the shots you will be very happy with the results.