The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just got a new doe today and when I went to meet her and buy her I noticed she had a little runny nose, crusty eyes and dry cough. Could this just be allergies and I can give her some Benadryl? Or is is something needing antibiotics? Any ideas / suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
31,506 Posts
I would start with a Temp on her...
Could be any of what you mentioned...if she has a fever we know ow to treat : )

·
Registered
309 Posts
About 4 years ago I bought a little doe in the same condition you describe.

I took her to OSU and she had a chronic pneumonia and CAE.

Have her tested for both.

DonnaBelle

·
Registered
31,506 Posts
103.5 is upper half of normal...so I would not treat with antibiotics just yet...Benedryl might help if its allergies...but keep a close watch on her..you want to see her eating drinking peeing and pooping berries...I would worm her and give a cd&t shot and B complex..even if they said she had them done..i would still do it..the move is stressful..she doesnt feel great..if you are going to pull blood for pregnacy test my as well do CAE as well..better to know before baby is due..
Take her temp a few times a day to be sure silent pueumonia isnt sneaking up on her...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is eating her little bit of grain I gave her this morning so I can get her used to it. She drank a half a bucket of water through the night. She's not really interested in they hay. I have grass hay 2nd cut. Her poop is berries and they are light brown unlike my other ones which are dark brown is that okay? Never seen this color. And her temp was 103.2 this morning and I also dewormed her this morning with ivermectin horse paste with apple flavor. She is also peeing fine.

·
Registered
31,506 Posts
The light poop can be from a bland diet..if her previous owners didnt provide balanced nutrician. Do you have loose minerals out? this would be important for all your goats..also I would keep her seperate from the herd for a while..pull some blood and have it tested for CAE and pregnancy..and to allow time for any unseen illnesses to pop thier little heads.... no need in exposing the whole herd.
Her temp is good. I bet she is stressed...if you have any B complex I would give her some..it will help with stress appititie and energy level..to be sure she is drinking enough you could try giving her some electrolytes..here is a home made one they seem to enjoy
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
8,390 Posts
Do you have her isolated from the rest of your goats? I hope she gets better quickly for you!
Did the previous owner say you could bring her back if she didn't work out?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She is isolated from my herd. The owners were moving and that's why they were selling her so I guarantee she can't go back. I knew she might need some rehabilitation as they really didn't know much about goats. She had really good lines and stuff. They didn't feed grain or hay and she just ate whatever she could find in her 1 acre pen. I just ordered some Bcomplex!

·
Registered
31,506 Posts
wow..so she will need time..one acre of grass and weeds is not enough...poor girl..go slow introducing new foods and hay...B complex will help her..I bet in a months time you will have a great looking gal : )

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I'll give her the tender loving care she needs. What's the dosage for b-complex? And I'm going really slow introducing the grain. She scarfed down minerals today she's loving them. Gunna giver her a a good bath this weekend and a copper bolus and some BoSe as she's never had anything or CDT. Gunna take it slow with her and give her everything she needs.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,506 Posts
she is pretty!! lots of color going on : )
4 1/2 cc per 100 pounds is the dose for B complex...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay! Is it IM or Sub-Q? Also it's okay to give it to her if she is pregnant? Haven't confirmed it yet but that's what they told me so I'm gunna act like she is pregnant just incase!

·
Registered
31,506 Posts
always Sub Q unless its hormons : ) Yes B complex is safe for pregnant does : )

1 - 20 of 49 Posts