The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years have heard people talk about feeding their goats almond hulls. I got a address and a price on the stuff and is only $125 a ton. Dang cheap. But is almonds hulls any good??? Or is it just like a filler or something??? I have searched for info but can't seem to find any. Soooo any one know about this stuff and would it be worth getting?

·
2,203 Posts
Over the years have heard people talk about feeding their goats almond hulls. I got a address and a price on the stuff and is only $125 a ton. Dang cheap. But is almonds hulls any good??? Or is it just like a filler or something??? I have searched for info but can't seem to find any. Soooo any one know about this stuff and would it be worth getting?
In my opinion it's a filler. I wouldn't rely on it for all my nutritional basis.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you guys!!! The guys say it like they feed it and means something so wanted to check it out. Thank you Pam for the link. I did the math last night and I'm actually getting good oat hay that has very little streem because of the lack of rain for only $2 a ton more. I'll stick to that ;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I was feeding them almond hulls from Durham for months and my goats were actually getting too pudgy. I reduced the quantity and all was great. :)Then I went and got a new load of hulls, started feeding like I usually do. I almost lost two goats! They got emaciated, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink and they didn't have any desire to do a thing. I thought I had lost them, called a vet and told them what was going on. He told me almond hulls have sprays that are really toxic to animals. I called Durham and asked about the spray all they could say is they weren't organic so it was 'use at your own risk'. I have since stopped and haven't been able to find an organic grower to buy from. If anyone knows someone in No. CA that wants to sell organic hulls please let me know. I was really saving on feed prices using the hulls as a supplemental evening feed.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Thanks you guys!!! The guys say it like they feed it and means something so wanted to check it out. Thank you Pam for the link. I did the math last night and I'm actually getting good oat hay that has very little streem because of the lack of rain for only $2 a ton more. I'll stick to that ;)
Your welcome :)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was feeding them almond hulls from Durham for months and my goats were actually getting too pudgy. I reduced the quantity and all was great. :)Then I went and got a new load of hulls, started feeding like I usually do. I almost lost two goats! They got emaciated, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink and they didn't have any desire to do a thing. I thought I had lost them, called a vet and told them what was going on. He told me almond hulls have sprays that are really toxic to animals. I called Durham and asked about the spray all they could say is they weren't organic so it was 'use at your own risk'. I have since stopped and haven't been able to find an organic grower to buy from. If anyone knows someone in No. CA that wants to sell organic hulls please let me know. I was really saving on feed prices using the hulls as a supplemental evening feed.
I don't know if its organic or not or how far it is from you but the place these guys were talking about is in Delhi its between merged and turlock I think. I know 3 people talked about feeding so maybe organic?????? I'm glade you brought that up because I was thinking about talking to the almond guy behind where we get hay and see if he would let me snag the tops of the trees when they cut them. I'll stick to what I trust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts