The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to check on my boys because they were yelling a lot and found Billy almost hanging in the hay net. Luckily I got him out before it killed him. Any ideas on how I can feed hay without putting it on the ground or them getting caught in the feeder? Thanks in advance.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
I have been using milk crates and my hay feeder.. I got my milk crates at TSC and Wal-Mart and a friend gave me a couple. I love them :)

Attachments

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
I have one in each kidding stall and a few loose ones to have outside or in my big pen :) I love them! :)

Attachments

·
8,472 Posts
I am so glad you got your boy before he strangled to death. Many years ago, I put a horse hay rack (metal bars are closer together at the bottom) on the wall for the goats. I put it up high enough that they had to
stand on back legs to eat out of it. I also would put the hay inside a hay mesh bag inside the rack. (Really, Really dumb, but I was trying to save hay). I put a 2x4 nailed to the wall so they could support their front feet. One bouncy Nubian doe jumped up, got her neck stuck in the bars and my daughter found her hanging and dead. I almost got rid of the other 2 goats. I was devastated, as was my poor daughter.
I will not use hay mesh bags, metal horse hay racks or anything they might even remotely get their heads stuck.

Again, so glad that your boy is ok!

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,340 Posts
I've used no-climb fencing to make a feeder - I folded in it half and wired it shut along two edges, then nailed it up. Put the hay in the top, and you can hook the top closed too if you want to make sure they only eat through the holes (slows them down.) Definitely reduced wasted hay. My friend uses a variation on it too.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've used no-climb fencing to make a feeder - I folded in it half and wired it shut along two edges, then nailed it up. Put the hay in the top, and you can hook the top closed too if you want to make sure they only eat through the holes (slows them down.) Definitely reduced wasted hay. My friend uses a variation on it too.
Can u show pics. Not sure what u mean by no climb fence?

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,340 Posts
It's wire mesh that's 2" by 4". I don't have that type of feeder where they're at now, they just have a round bale. But it basically looked like an envelope with an open top.

·
Super Moderator
32,153 Posts
We have had our fair share of scary moments with feeders!!!! we now use a piece of cattle panel....set it up in a corner of fencing, tall end up....we attach one site with a few D rings so we can open it and clean it out...since its as tall as the fence..the goats can not jump in it. we seem to have less waste too....we used to use the panel side ways and the goats would jump in and legs would get caught...too scary...tall ways is much much better!!

·
Goat Owner
75 Posts
I have done something similar using some chain link fencing. It does slow them down, makes it easy for me to get the hay up and less mess.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have a galvanized tub in one pen. For the others, a cheap (read: no additional cost) idea is to get those super sturdy fruit and veggie cardboard boxes with a lip around three sides if you shop at a place like SAMs club. I use those, with very little waste. The goats aren't eating the boxes, so yay! I doubt there will be death by cardboard box entrapment either.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,340 Posts
Here are pics of the feeder I made today. It's made from chicken wire so might not hold up as long as the no climb but it's the same concept and it is easier to fill since it's more flexible. I hung a milk crate in the other stall with the rescue goat since I want her eating as much as she can.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.