Almost tennis ball size lump

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nancy d, Sep 10, 2009.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    What on earth could it possibly be!? My Nubian has almost a tennis ball size low on her esophagus, it is kind of soft and can be moved around somewhat.
    On the first of this mo we put her in the back of the truck after being bred elsewhere and a hornet was in there so thought it could have been a sting but that was over two weeks ago & it has gotten larger.
    Its not uncomfortable or unusually warm. Its too low to be bottle jaw. Last yr CAE & CL tested neg.
    When she gets grain I do have to give it in small amounts or she will choke on it. Pooping peeing & eating hay fine.
    Waiting on call from vet. Thanks so much for your input.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That sounds like a possible infection if she was stung or it could even be a splinter. Hope the vet has answers for you.

3. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    im thinking on the lines of some kind of blockage...tonite she ate half her grain (mostly all at once) and started choking.
    or maybe this thing contributes I dont know.
    Cant feel anything as far as where a splinter went in but then again its probably healed over.

4. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    could it be cancer ????????? :scratch:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Allison had something like this happen and the goat died, once they opened him up they found a tier in the esophagus and food was getting stuck under the skin.

I would have her checked by the vet for sure.

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Stacey I thought of Allison (Kelebek) and poor Joe Dirt as well. He ended up (I believe) getting a splinter or something wedged in his throat and hay and feed started building up and created a hole or pocket where more and more hay and feed built up and caused him to die quickly from suffocation? I think. Not to scare you, but I would have a vet take a look asap.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    how is your goat today Nancy d ?.. :hug:

8. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    It OK Im not scared you have mentioned the reality of possibilites, she does fine with hay but I have to cook her up a little oatmeal to mix with her grain.
    Havent heard from vet. Regular vet from same clinic has left, we had a super working relationship.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I pray.... you hear from your vet soon.....and your goat ...will be fine... :pray: :hug:

10. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks so much Pam!
    Just talked to someone much more knowledgeable than I. She will come out tomorrow to take a look & pull sample if needed to send to waddl.

11. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Do you have a pic of it?

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your very welcome.... nancy d :hug:

13. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Friend came Sun pulled sample off to waddl it went this am.
    Put her on Pen G Still no vet contact.
    After shaving the area we did see a slight wound where something could have gone in.
    Getting ready for fair tomorrow hubby will have to continue meds how come I've never had him do it before oh yeah he's the one who usually holds animal.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I hope it is just a sting or something. :hug:

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Can you tap the lump and tell me what you get??? Do you pull air, fluid - if so what color, or nothing at all and it wont suck up anything -

That will help me alot!!!!!

My Joe died from an Esophogical Tear due to a horse treat on the inside - nothing punctured from outside.

If you can tell me what you find - that will help alot.

I am pretty scattered as to being on TGS right now (just got back to work after taking a week off from having N1H1) but send me a PM because it will alert me that you sent me a message and I will check it out!!!

16. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks Lori I was hoping it WAS a sting, but almost 3wks later the swelling hadnt gone down.
    Im 99% sure its not CL tho thats what they will look for. Friend thought about lancing it but its too close to the jugular.

17. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Allison thanks so much, pus was a little off-white, like I said the first pull was just air. Sorry about Joe Dirt.
    Tomorrow is fair, be back late Thurs.

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Was there any smell to the discharge that you were able to get out of it???

Not to scare you, but I have seen CL abcesses that were a milky white in the beginning. Is she loosing hair where the swelling is??

19. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    no loss of hair. I didnt smell the contents.

20. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    The waddl results;
    "no corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis isolated."

The rest I have no clue, waiting for a different vet to instruct on how to proceed.

very many pasturella trehalosi
    moderate escherichia coli
    very many alpha strep spp.