The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
14,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Mentor says the coli part indicates a possible poke that had been exposed to manure & that the strep & pasturella are common in injuries.
When my friend shaved the area we did find a small break in the skin.

·
14,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Im thinking another round of Pen G & hoping vet will call soon I'd like to see it lanced.
She is back to being bossy & begs for her probios.

·
14,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It is finally draining on its own. It stinks to high heavens its been trapped in there for just over 3 weeks.
She is in isolation stall & not happy. Currently on round 2 of Pen G.

During all this I had been waiting for another vet I gave up on him.
Long story no caprine vets at clinic; just "happened" to go to garage sale & found out I was talking to my former vet's in laws! Left my # she called & said she'd be glad to help me out. Faxed test results to her yesterday but havent heard back yet.

·
14,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Im wondering how long I should wait till just taking things into my own hands.
Like do some hot compresses and work the rest of it out & irrigate it with either betadine or a little peroxide.
This is getting frusterating. My mentor is out of town.
I had spoken to vet the other day she needed the actual fax from waddl thats ok I understand.....told her it I thought it needed to be lanced well it went on its own.
Soon as hubby gets home I think I'll don rubber gloves and squeeze the junk out.

·
Super Moderator
82,111 Posts
It does need squeezed out .....use gloves and make sure you squeeze it ...into a paper towel and dispose of it .....strep is a nasty thing... and you don't want to take the chance of it entering the ground and getting into another goats wound.......I am unsure ...if any of the results.... are contagious to humans.... so be very careful ...squeeze the yuck out....then flush it with iodine/ water.... make it into a light tea ...don't use peroxide it may damage the good tissue .........also make sure ....that it can drain well......you may have to lance it enough.... so it can drain..... squeeze the yuck out.....and flush it 1x a day....unsure on how long to flush that stuff cause I don't know what some of the test results are... :scratch: ..your goat won't be happy......still try to seek further advice .....from a vet..... :pray: :hug:

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
That I think would be the best course of action, since it opened on it's own it would be best to get the rest of the infection out, irrigate with a gentled iodine to flush it after you have applied pressure to get most of the pus out....peroxide may sting as it works so to avoid an unruly goat iodine or the betadine will work...a large 60 cc syringe full and of course, you know no needle. get the head of the sryringe as far in as you can and push the contents into the abcess, careful the back wash/spray doesn't get you in the face. Apply triple antibiotic salve to the opening to prevent it from crusting over, this will allow healing from the inside out....and yes, keep her on the antibiotic injections. Vet would do the same thing and since you can't get hold of him/her, the infection needs tended asap. Good luck, I hope she doesn't fight you too much.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm glad you were able to find out what she had. It still doesn't make having to deal with an abscess an easier.

I have a doe that has a CD/T abscess that I just lanced. At least with those they don't ever smell. I'm glad I just got my Lidocaine in too. It makes it easier when they aren't squirming around so much. I wish you we're a little closer I'd help you squeeze that gunk out...

·
14,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Its been a long night. Squeezed out some watery blood. There were two holes, put a little peroxide in the upper hole which sqwirted out the bottom hole.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I had a 4H er that had a goat with a huge lump, (not as large as yours), I took a scalpel and cut it open. I squeezed that nasty groose stuff out (as I tried to prevent myself from throwing up). I cleaned it out with a solution of Iodine (betodine), warm water and a little dish soap. Rinse it out at least two times a day. Mine goats I did this with healed just fine. As I went through that nasty stuff I did find little (really not so little), sticker in it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts