The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I put this here has a half rant to myself and lamentation. So Sugar will be seven months in October. We lined up a buck to purchase based on her weight numbers from early this month however, I believe I did not measure her correctly. Instead of being almost 80 lbs, she is only 72 (still good but dang it not for breeding) 26 inches at the shoulder. Originally, I had her weight at 79 pounds. I believe she had a mild case of Coccid hit her just after weaning so she is stunted (can't seem to find a measurement scale for Nubians so if someone height to weight idea, I'd appreciate it).

Gus is 28 inches 78 pounds (originally at 81 pounds) and considerably bigger than her but that is to be expected even for a wether plus he didn't get sick. Neither have had their shots yet but we are getting those this month. After some discussion, hubby and I will have to back out of the sale of the buck so Sugar can spend the next year growing up. I figure if I just let her grow then use the LaMancha buck we were going to purchase to breed her. He is really for the LaMancha doeling coming next year.

I have only myself to blame for not catching that coccid in time so yeah...grrr. Both have already had their first round of copper, worming is soon. Again, this is just a rantish complaint to myself. I was really looking forward to having kids here even if they were going to be sold or go to freezer camp. Shucks!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I’m so sorry about that, how disappointing! :(

Is there any way to wait 2-4 months and then breed her for late spring/early summer kids?

·
Administrator
85,630 Posts
Good suggestions.
Cocci is hard to read, as in when it shows signs it may be too late. So do not blame yourself.
I do cocci prevention every 21 days until closer to a year old.

Try to wait and see if she grows more. Then decide later, if she does grow, which buck she is better suited for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts