The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need help again, as a lot of yous know Juliet has hoof rot or something and I have s post on that , but when I was tending her hooves I was like while I have her tied up I’ll check her famacha, there almost white, I don’t know what to do hers have always been perfect all nice and red, so I have been giving her land of havilah dewormer weekly, should I give her a double dose, I also have ivermectin, is ivermectin safe for pregnant goats? She’s 90 days pregnant. Should I give her ivermectin orally or injections?

·
8,492 Posts
This is not a criticism- when you are checking her eyes, you are kind of pushing on the eyeball, through the eyelid, and pulling the lower lid out, right?
The reason that I ask is my D-I-L freaked when she thought the 4-H goat was anemic! She had just pulled the lower lid out and saw the white of the eye, not the
inside of the lower lid.

How do your goat's gums look? (pink if they are not naturally dark colored).

Yes, you can give that horse Red Cell. That helps build up the iron back into their blood. Shake it up really good, the good stuff settles to the bottom of
the bottle if it's been sitting a long time. I believe the dosage is 6 cc per 100#, orally. I also give Vitamin B12, but Vitamin B Complex is ok, too. The B vitamins also
help rebuild the iron loss in the blood. (Vit. B is an injection- sub Q)

For a fecal test, take clean poop pellets to the vet- use a baggie and catch them before they hit the floor. I, personally, do not like giving goats any meds while pregnant- but I do know it can be
necessary. I would wait until a vet does a fecal check before deciding to worm..

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is not a criticism- when you are checking her eyes, you are kind of pushing on the eyeball, through the eyelid, and pulling the lower lid out, right?
The reason that I ask is my D-I-L freaked when she thought the 4-H goat was anemic! She had just pulled the lower lid out and saw the white of the eye, not the
inside of the lower lid.

How do your goat's gums look? (pink if they are not naturally dark colored).

Yes, you can give that horse Red Cell. That helps build up the iron back into their blood. Shake it up really good, the good stuff settles to the bottom of
the bottle if it's been sitting a long time.

For a fecal test, take clean poop pellets to the vet- use a baggie and catch them before they hit the floor. I, personally, do not like giving goats any meds while pregnant- but I do know it can be
necessary. I would wait until a vet does a fecal check before deciding to worm..
Um, maybe I wasn’t pulling them down far enough, I hope that’s the case, I’ll double check tomorrow morning. I’ll take a fecal to my vet if it turns out she really is anemic

·
Registered
387 Posts
This is a lengthy video but very well done:
If you just want to do FAMACHA skip ahead to about minute 22. Anemia is when the red blood cell count gets dangerously low so you can see that presented in paleness of blood in all animals in different ways, anywhere the blood is close to the surface- eyelids, gums, etc.

These folks also have a video on collecting poop samples. You don't have to stand around, trying to catch them in a cup!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here’s my treatment plan, since her worm load isn’t low but it’s not high , I’m going to treat with ivermectin orally, continue LOH twice a day for a few days, red cell once a day for 5 days to help with her mild anemia , and one clove of garlic to help with worms and boost her immune system, is it okay to give all these things at once??? Especially the ivermectin and red cell my vet didn’t say?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts