The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, sorry for my bad english hope you can understand the idea. I have a problem and I do not know what to do and I need advice, let me tell you a little about me. We love animals, we have 2 dogs and 5 chickens, 1 doe 3 months old and 1 purebreed french alpine buck, 5 months old.
We work from home and we are 24/7 with them.
We want to breed the doe with the buck the next year, but we want them to live inside the house with us as pet, he's housebroken and she is still wearing diapers and learning to become one.
We would hate to leave him outside in a pen because we live in Florida and is to hot outside.

This is our problem, he has horns (we put horns protector) and when he is on heat he wants to do his things with my baby goat (who's all the times in diapers) and my female dog.
He is very capricious and some time when he is mad he stand up on 2 legs in front of me, I use a spray bottle but when it does not work and give him a hit.
He is a good boy but after 10 min. he will start all over again with his wild behavior and we want him to be part of the family.

My questions are these:

If I persist in training him is any hope that he could be trained as a dog? or I should give up and give him to a farm to have a goat life?
Will he love me as my dog does?

Attachments

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
IMO, if he is already showing signs of aggressive behavior, this will not work...not to mention the smell that will permeate through your house and clothes....bucks are NOT a good house pet.....getting him castrated by a vet would be your best option if you really want him in the house.

ETA: I agree with Karen~ a farm is best for a buck!

·
Super Moderator
59,219 Posts
He would be much better off on a farm. He is going to stink as time goes on. Bucks really don't make good pets because of the hormones and the smell.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Though he may be very very sweet now, as he gets older he will hit puberty and then he will SMELL. I'm talking "sticks in your clothes" type smell. LOL

If you really want to keep him as a pet, I would have him wethered. You can always get a "visiting" buck to breed your doe, and if your boy is wethered he will have all the advantages of being a boy (I know they can be really sweet and friendly :) ), but he will likely stop his aggressive behavior, and - best of all! - HE WON'T SMELL! Lol ;) Good luck on whatever you decide!

·
1,524 Posts
A buck in full rut pees all over himself, other animals, humans and everything surrounding him. I don't think you want that, plus his musk, in your house. The smell will linger for years.

You can possibly train him not to challenge, depending on his attitude, or he may be one that will always want to be dominant.

I love my goats. They are my "pets with perks (milk)" but once a buckling is 2 months old, they get evicted from my house. All goat kids do. Mine are much happier in the barn. So is my house. Having goats jumping all over the furniture, getting into the washer, drier, sink and oven and trying to eat everything paper (like my library) is just not worth them being inside.

Even though your doeling has a diaper, he will get to her when she comes in heat. He will constantly ride her, ride the dog, and be generally obnoxious. He might possibly injure the dog and doe. What will happen to your household valuables if he gets to rockin' and rollin' in the house? If you have not been around goats, you cannot grasp what a large, or even small, buck in rut is like. Some can, and do, get very aggressive.

Do you have children? I would not want young children sharing a house with a mature buck, especially in rut.

Just my personal advice from someone who has had breeding bucks for 30+ years. No, mine have never been aggressive. Never had them challenge me, but I also taught them respect from the time I got them at a few weeks of age. As much as I love my boys, and do treat them as pets, I would not allow one in my house.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
You simply can not have an intact buck in your house. There is no way around it. Even without a doe there he will still come into rut, start to pee on himself and everything/everyone else. You can hardly get the smell outta your skin and you will never be able to get it outta a couch or the rug for that matter. Now as for his personality, some goats are just jerks no matter how much time/love you put into em. Granted, a castrated male goat is WAY more subdued then an intact one.

So to answer your questions the only way it can be answered, castrate him now or sell him to a working farm that can use him. I also would not suggest putting him outside alone. Being raised as an in door pet, he is going to have a terrible time by himself outside.

·
I'm watching you
22,350 Posts
Do you know how big an Alpine buck is? The white goat in my avatar picture is a young Saanen, but, he is about the size of an Alpine buck. Some are even bigger.
I think a farm or castration and putting him outside with a companion would save you a lot of heart break.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with the above advice. If you want a house pet you will all be much better off having him wethered.
I know of some people who have a deer and a pony that they let come and go out of the house. It's pretty neat. But the pony has been gelded and the deer is a doe.

Our Alpine buck Floyd is just as much a pet as any of our other goats. We can pet and love on him all day long, he is a real sweetie. But when breeding season comes he gets to do his own thing.

Let us know how things turn out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts