Alpine buck back in rut?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by klingshirnm, Mar 21, 2011.

1. klingshirnm

klingshirnm New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Acouple days ago I noticed my barn starting to stink like a buck again, and noticed one of my bucks was acting like he was coming into rut, doing normal buck in rut things. My question is, is this normal, or should I be concerned? He did the normal buck thing this past fall, and everything went with the flow. He pretty much settled down by the end of the year, and back to not stinking as back. But now I've noticed him being rude again, and pretty aggressive along with ejaculating all over himself, which I know is normal rut things. But I haven't really seen it start again after being done in the middle of March. Should I worry about this, maybe him not coming into rut this fall? or it affecting him in anyway?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A buck being in rut... is normal ...and it doesn't hurt him coming into rut ...at awkward times....

Do you have a Doe... that is in Season.. that he smells near by? :wink:

3. klingshirnm

klingshirnm New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Well, we have one doe we didn't breed, but they are separated by a brick wall, butcould possibly smell her. He does have a line of sight to a couple yearlings that will be breed this fall. But, he is in a pen next to another buck, actually a pen farther a way then the rest of the goats, and the other buck hasn't showed any aggression or rut like things. I was just worried, cause since he started doing this he hasn't eaten much hay or grain, and he isn't any too fat to begin with. I just didn't want him to get too thin and have a tough time getting him to weight safely for breeding season.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... he can... if the wind direction is right.... :wink:

I see your concern... if he is not eating.... :hug:

Are you feeding Alfalfa hay? If so ...Maybe try to give him... a different type of hay...... just a little at a time...so he doesn't scour because of the change....

Is he acting OK otherwise? maybe get a temp on him....

give a shot of Vit B Complex... to get his appetite going......

If the weather allows it ...give him a good bath and get all the stink off that you can..... it may help..... calm him down.....

Try putting Vics in his nose...that may help keep the Doe aroma away...but you will have to re-apply it....periodically....