Alpine Doe- Tattoos in ears/May also be prego

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mhuckeba, Mar 3, 2011.

1. mhuckeba

mhuckeba New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Hello! My name is Mary and I wanted to ask you all some questions about my goat. I am very new to goats so here is what happened. I went to this guy who had a ton of goats of all breeds. I wanted either an Alpine or Nubian. So I went and got an Oberhasli girl, a Swiss boy, and I couldn't resist and got this little lamb girl. Well when I got home I realized they were ALL boys! The Oberhasli is a wether. So I called the guy. I liked the Oberhasli because I was looking for a pack goat and he seems to have a great "follow you around" attitude. So I was going to give him back the Swiss boy. About a week later, he ended up getting really sick and passed away. (FYI- I took them all to the vet and had meds for the Oberhasli and the Swiss) So the guy would not give me my money back so I had to do a credit thing. So I got an Alpine in milk. She was very very thin but she was the sweetest one he had. So now you have some background info on how I have gotten my goats (and a lesson learned). So I have been looking for a buck for my Alpine (Gretta). I know they are supposed to go into season in the fall so I wanted a head start. Well I was talking to this one breeder and she asked if she was tattooed. I looked and she is. So I was hoping you guys can help me find out what they mean and how I can maybe track down the breeder. The right ear is X20 the left ear is 0W4. I was told these are not a common sequence of numbers. Also, come to find out, the guy I got her from said he ran every all together, bucks, does, sheep, cows, etc. So now she may be prego. She has been on a grain for goats, an herbal dewormer, goat mineral from Purina, and an herbal supplement. She also has Alfalfa and grazes all day. I have been milking her because I thought I was supposed to and now I feel like I should dry her up in case she is pregnant. Can you all please give me some advise. I found all of this out last night and couldn't sleep because I was so worried about her. I am not set up for birthing. I can be soon but until then, all the goats sleep together.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The right ear is the year she was born as well as her number in the births on the farm...so she was born in 2007 and the 20th kid born that year, the tattoo in the left ear could be "ow4", you may be able to check with ADGA and AGS to find the breeder.

She likely had heats til February at the latest, late August at the earliest and could very well be pregnant and due soon or due as late as July. I think I would dry her off just in the case that she is preggy, she'll need a minimum of a month to make good colostrum for her kids...and it sounds like she could use all the food offered to her for builing her body back up.

3. mhuckeba

mhuckeba New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Ok, when I got her a few weeks ago, I thought she was in heat. She had a lot of white discharge clumped on her tail. I did some researching and thought it was her cycle. Then yesterday and today I read about this mucus plug that can is also white discharge. But she does not have any sort of a belly. I'll post a picture of her. I did take a pic of her vulva so that I could monitor her. I can attach that as well.

Also, how should I go about drying her off? I have read to just stop milking and some people have said to milk every other day and then every two days and then stop. I have also been advised to get her checked for Mastisis. I feel that one side has already dried up because I cannon get much out. The other side I was getting maybe 14 oz's. Someone thought that sounded like she may have Mastisis. Should I still get her tested?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

4. mhuckeba

mhuckeba New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Also, do I need to call ADGA and the AGS or is there a way to look it up online?

5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Oh wow she is a thin girl :sigh: Dry her off for sure.She needs weight on her poor girl. Don't know if she is bred, she doesn't look it to me. Feed her good quality alfalfa hay and grain her.Deworm her if you haven't already. She does apear to be a nice looking Alpine and with weight she'll make a nice doe for you I'm sure.Keep up the good work!

6. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Does the one side of her udder feel hot to the touch at all? Get a temp on her.I would just stop milking her all together and if she gets full on the one side just milk out enough to relieve the preasure.

7. mhuckeba

mhuckeba New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    No its not hot at all. When I got her a few weeks ago, it felt hard in one spot so I massaged it a lot and put peppermint oil mixed in with the udder balm stuff. I took her temp this morning and it is 101.4. I gave her a dewormer as well. I milked her out a little bit because it was making me uncomfortable. I breastfed so I know how it feels! The alfalfa we got was the heavy bale. Not sure what that means but my husband got it. My husband got cob wet (corn, barley, oats, and molasses). Made the mistake and sent him up to the feed store. So we just ran out of that so she is now on a goat feed. It has 14%+ protein which is what I read they should be getting.

Attached Files:

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I like my does to get 16-18% feed.

A heavy bale means nothing to me - is it alfalfa or grass?

She doesn't look pregnant by her pooch but I could be wrong too.

As to her udder. A mastitis test would be in order if she was here. Knowing what you are dealing with is very helpful in giving you direction on how to care for her.

9. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    heavy bale doesn't say much but possibly a 3rd cutting because it's a finer cut that weighs more. :shrug: You did great in treating her udder.I would test for mastitis still.Find out what's causing the problem so you can treat properly.Also make sure your offering her loose minerals and baking soda free choice if your not already. It will be very difficult for her to get weight on if you continue to milk her so by all means dry her off.Once she's at a healthy weight you can rebreed her and she will have a better start.Takes so much out of them girls to produce milk.Your doing a great job :hug:

10. mhuckeba

mhuckeba New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Ok well I have already started the process of drying her off. I will call the vet about a mastisis test. I add loose minerals to her feed. I got them the Purina Goat Minerals and the instructions said I could ad it to her feed. I have a lamb so I am nervous about leaving it out free choice. I did not know about the baking soda. I can put some of that out there. If my lamb gets it, will it be ok? Oh and I think the heavy bale is just more alfalfa, not sure though. Also, when I went to the feed store, I could not find anything with more than 14%. The goat feed says it is not less than 14%. I even checked all of the horse feeds. Is there something I can give them to boost it?