The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this doe yesterday for 75.00. She is in milk and had a single. She is completely full in these pics. This was about a 10 hour fill but she was so full I couldn't hand milk her. :cool: She is a fourth freshener and is supposedly producing 1/2 a gallon a day, milked twice a day. What do you see?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I agree with little bits, as well as she's not very high and tight in the back. And, for a 10 hr fill I have no doubt she's not giving more than a 1/2 gallon. My nigerians as ff give a 1/2 gallon. Even if you only need a 1/2 gallon a day, I'd prefer to feed a mini goat (because I don't have browse so I have to hay everything so they need to earn their keep ) if that's all I was getting.

·
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Her vulva is about 3 inches above her udder. She is very tall. As to how long ago did she freshen.... uhhh... sorry I was in goat love and I don't remember. I will find it out for you.

·
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Milked her at 7:45 last night, and at 8:45 this morning. Got about half a gallon from one milking. Looks like what we have been feeding her made her happy. :)

·
2,962 Posts
I don't think her udder looks that bad. It looks high in the rear. The teats look wonderful for hand milking. They point forward a bit but for milking that is great. The main thing I am seeing with her is the lack of capacity and that is because she is not producing much milk. Although 1/2 gallon at one milking is not that bad. Since you just got her, she possibly needs better minerals and feed than she was getting. The amount of grain also determines how much milk she will produce, genetics aside...... If I give my goats lots of grain they produce lots of milk, when I am ready to dry them off, I reduce the grain and the milk produce drops. After you have had her for a while and made some changes in feed and that, then see how she does and let us know.

I agree that the medial is too deep but I would rather have a deep medial than no medial as that is what holds that udder up!! Like I said, it is not a great udder but it is not that bad and for $75.00 you probably got a decent goat.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
If I give my goats lots of grain they produce lots of milk, when I am ready to dry them off, I reduce the grain and the milk produce drops.
Peggy, how much grain do you give your does in milk?

those teats look like they're easy to hand milk. and you're getting twice the amount of milk I get from my girl. $75 is a good bargain!

·
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Little Bits, I kind of get the feeling that you think my girl is trash. What would you do with her? Butcher her, or hope she goes to a good home? I feel that you do not think I should have gotten her, but I am glad I did. She has a good home now, and I am sure that is what you would want out of both of those choices.

I don't breed for JUST milk, and I don't use my goats as milking machines. I care about how docile and sweet they are, and this girl is the prettiest goat I have ever owned.

The lady we bought her from had wonderful, friendly goats. She milks for a company who produces dog treats, a big time company. She sold her for 75.00 because she felt that she didn't need the money, as she makes lots of money from the milk. She just wanted good homes for her goats.

Your post has sort of been bothering me every since you posted, mostly because of your statement, "That wouldn't be acceptable for a yearling FF in my herd.". Well, I am very glad she is living her life here, then. I understand that I asked for opinions, but things like that bug me quite a bit.

I am sure you have great milking lines in your herd, and the pictures are fantastic. But I don't only care about that, I like my goats for who they are.

And I also get the feeling that you were annoyed that I got her, so you posted the thread about udder attachments. This might not be true, and I hope it isn't.

But everyone, keep in mind that I love my goats for who they are, even if the produce a teaspoon of milk. I am glad to have gotten Janie, and all of these bad comments are kind of bursting my bubble. Little Bits, I am sorry if you found any of this rude, but I feel like I have to stick up for my girlies, no matter how freakish or cheesy that sounds. I will not argue, I just wanted to say this, so I did.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Little Bits, I kind of get the feeling that you think my girl is trash. What would you do with her? Butcher her, or hope she goes to a good home? I feel that you do not think I should have gotten her, but I am glad I did. She has a good home now, and I am sure that is what you would want out of both of those choices.

I don't breed for JUST milk, and I don't use my goats as milking machines. I care about how docile and sweet they are, and this girl is the prettiest goat I have ever owned.

The lady we bought her from had wonderful, friendly goats. She milks for a company who produces dog treats, a big time company. She sold her for 75.00 because she felt that she didn't need the money, as she makes lots of money from the milk. She just wanted good homes for her goats.

Your post has sort of been bothering me every since you posted, mostly because of your statement, "That wouldn't be acceptable for a yearling FF in my herd.". Well, I am very glad she is living her life here, then. I understand that I asked for opinions, but things like that bug me quite a bit.

I am sure you have great milking lines in your herd, and the pictures are fantastic. But I don't only care about that, I like my goats for who they are.

And I also get the feeling that you were annoyed that I got her, so you posted the thread about udder attachments. This might not be true, and I hope it isn't.

But everyone, keep in mind that I love my goats for who they are, even if the produce a teaspoon of milk. I am glad to have gotten Janie, and all of these bad comments are kind of bursting my bubble. Little Bits, I am sorry if you found any of this rude, but I feel like I have to stick up for my girlies, no matter how freakish or cheesy that sounds. I will not argue, I just wanted to say this, so I did.
I am so sorry, no I do not mean it that way, sorry my posts can seem blunt, I forget sometimes when posts are about udders that they are not meant to be judged by show quality standards.
I have goats that are just pets for me, not everything I have is a milker or for show, I have a few of less than show worthy goats that I love to death, they cost money to feed, but I love them. I have some that are out of outstanding lines, but don't milk hardly at all, I kept a few never bred them again, but they have so much personality, and I have had them since birth, I have a special bond with almost all of them.
I currently have 11 that are just for my pets, I will never sell them.

Like my doe Peeps, sure she milks a ton, but she is short, and would never place against big does, and she has a big teat on one side, so it isn't a show udder, or show goat. But she has so much personality, she is very old now I've had her for a long time, and I am afraid she won't be around much longer, and I will cry my eyes out when she's gone. I love that goat so much, no other goat in the world can replace her. Just the thought of her dying is making me cry

No I am ceratianly not annoyed that you got her, I have brought home many from the auction, or peoples homes that they would have been put down at.
Every goat has a place in life.

You got your doe for a good price, and a good purpose, you love her and thats all that matters.

My thread had nothing to do with yours, although it did remind me I wanted to post it, but it was for everyone to see, not to bash on anyones does, just to judge attachments, and that was all.

But from me, a judges stand point, I'd pass, from a person with a love of goats, she's great.

I'm sorry if I upset or offended you or anyone, I'm very sorry, I do not intentionally mean to sound rude in any of my comments,

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Milked her at 7:45 last night, and at 8:45 this morning. Got about half a gallon from one milking. Looks like what we have been feeding her made her happy. :)
Sorry I did not see this post before. That is actually a good amount of milk, for any goat. If her production keeps increasing that might be why she has somewhat loose attachments, heavy milking girls get looser with every freshening.

·
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, I didn't mean to offend you either! I just wanted to make that statement, I hope you are not offended. I am glad you didn't mean it that way, I understand now.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Thank you, I didn't mean to offend you either! I just wanted to make that statement, I hope you are not offended. I am glad you didn't mean it that way, I understand now.
Thank You! I'm not offended, I don't get offended easy, it's ok. I'm just so sorry that it sounded rude the first time, it totally was not meant that way! I try so hard not to hurt anyones feelings but wording things wrong, but sometimes I can't get the words right and it comes out wrong. :hammer:
Sorry!
:hug:

·
1,524 Posts
Not a bad udder, I have certainly seen much much worse sold for way more money. I think you got a good deal on her. If she makes YOU happy, that's all that matters.

Her production isn't huge, for sure, but.....she has just been moved to a new place and you don't know how long she has been fresh. Those 2 things can make a huge difference. Do you know how much feed, what type and how high of a protein level she was getting before you got her? Other causes for lower production. Were her kids kept on her without someone milking the excess? That can cause lower production after weaning.

It will be interesting to see what she does next freshening at your place. If fed right and all, and I have no doubt that she will be, that will show whether she has the genetic potential to pump out the milk or if she will be a mediocre milker.

Bred to an "udder buck" her daughters will have a better udder. I have bred up from does with horrid udders before. Makes me feel like I accomplished something-taking a poorer quality animal and bred up to where the descendants fill the bucket to over flowing and pick up the ribbons at the shows! I can look at those animal and know it was MY breeding program that did that, not someone else.

·
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just know she was eating oats, grazing, and beet pulp. She will be fed well, trust me! She is looking great but my mind is leaning towards the thought of, "She may be pregnant". Her ligs aren't rock hard, she is the fattest one on the farm, her vulva points down (not sure if that matters after she had kids), and she isn't producing much. I don't think she is pregnant though, just because it seems like wishful thinking.

Here she is, the lovely girl!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
OH SHE'S CUTE! Pretty girl! I like alpines that look like her can you tell :eek:? I've got a little buck kid that looks like her. I used to have does that looked like her, but somehow I ended up with mostly Cou Blancs, or Cou Clairs, or plain Chamoisee's. Trying to get the more wild colors back like I had a billion years ago! I had a set of twin does one year who had perfectly divided half black and half white faces, and the rest of the body's were black and white splashes, They were AM alpines.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Oh my! You are making me want an Alpine now!! Stop it, you!!!! She's so pretty :love:

And I am not commenting too much on her udder, because I'm terrible with words, but it is a nice milking udder.

·
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She walks like a super model, and will ONLY lead if you walk next to her. LOL. She is bright looking, but the owner said "probably four". So, really I am not sure of a lot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts