Alpine Does Heat Cycles

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by jay13, Jan 18, 2011.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I have been watching my alpine girl Vanilli for weeks now and she still hasn't gone back into heat! If she were bred by her previous breeding she would be due 13 Feb and it would be obvious even to me if she had a preggy pooch right? Well looks like she is still "open" but not going into heat. The only thing I can think of that is keeping her from going into heat is the lights in the barn. They are set to "summer time" so that the chickens keep laying. Has anyone had a problem with this delaying seasonal breeders like my girls? I have now moved her into the pen with the buck in the hopes that she will come into heat before the end of the breeding season. There is no electricity and thus no lights over there.

Any other suggestions for ways that I can help her along? I really need more than one milking doe this summer. The kids (human type) are going through5-6 gallons of milk a week and I REALLY need to quit paying $3/gal at the store for it!

Jay

2. ruedyranch

ruedyranch New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    I have Saanens, Boers and chickens in the same barn and I keep the lights on as well and have not had any trouble. My does are not due until March but I can already feel her baby kicking. If I watch her right side I can even see the baby moving in there. Has she been bred before? Otherwise you will probably just have to wait and see if she will cycle again. I did have success breeding all seven of my girls even with the lights if that helps.

3. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Yes, she has been bred before, this will be her second time. As I recall it wasn't until I turned the lights off last year that she came into heat as well. This is weird. I don't know if they are sensitive to light like chickens are or what. She is in with the buck now, and I will just have to keep an eye on things to see if she ever will stand for him. He isn't interested it seems. Is there anything that can help induce a heat cycle? I think I read something in that regard on here earlier... but not sure what or how. I just really need both my girls in milk this year!

4. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    You know what... I have 3 alpines... now they are all first years, but NONE of them went in heat (that I know of) ALL Fall... I doubt I will have ANY babies this year, which means I am feeding useless animals until Fall AGAIN!

I just Hope to god everything works out for you, because nothing is working at my current location.

5. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Do you have lights on in your barn lexi? Do you have a buck nearby? We went to the trouble and expense of getting a great alpine buck here since I'm not really close to any other breeders here and my girls weren't very vocal with their heats. The gal I'm having problems with this year is the one who turned down feed to be near the buck pen when she was in heat last time! I don't know why she won't cycle now :( You still might have some time to get your girls bred, fingers crossed.

6. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Yes, I had 2 bucks, all my does were exposed to both of them since August. It could be they were all silent heaters, but man... I had 10 does and only 2 honestly showed any sign, all the rest I have no idea if they are bred. I ended up selling all but 4 does and one buck just cause it was too much for so little I was getting.

They are all about the same age.

All I know is if I don't get babies soon, I might just get rid of them all and get more pigs, lol. I at least want some milkers >.>

7. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    My mixed goat who is boer/alpine cross went into heat no problem but my alpine girls I had to turn the lights off last year and it looks as if lighting might be the problem again this year. I was just wondering if any of the other experienced seasonal breeders out here had issues with lighting or if its just coincidence that the girls have gone into heat just as soon as the lights are off.