Alpine goat's soles are white

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ToriStewart, Feb 8, 2011.

1. ToriStewart

ToriStewart New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Hi. I'm new to goats in general. We've had a couple in the past, but they've been more like brush control in a rocky pasture than a family pet. We purchased two bred registered alpine dairy goats back in November and for the first time, I had to think about things like hoof trimming and disbudding. I read information about hoof trimming, saw many pictures and watched a couple of YouTube videos, so I felt comfortably confident that I could do a decent job with some hands-on under my belt. The previous owner had just trimmed their feet in November when we got them, so they didn't need trimming until recently. I started to trim about a month ago and realized I'd need different tools, etc. So, little by little I've been taking small amounts off, until it occurred to me that one of my goat's feet (Feta) looked nothing at all like my other goat's feet (Brie). Feta's feet are quite mishapen. They don't look like a kid's feet at all. I feel sure that with some proper trimming, this can be fixed, but my main concern is that her soles are not soft and padded like every other goat's soles I've seen. They're not black/dark with the texture of calloused skin. When I take the brush to brush away the mud and manure on her soles, it comes off easily in one big piece, revealing a white pad that can be scraped away at. She acts like her feet are tender every time I touch them. She's very well handled and docile, but when I touch her feet she tries to nip me and pulls away constantly. It doesn't sound like foot scald/hoof rot, but I can't find anything on it either. Like I said, her soles are snow white and, like a moist callous, can be scraped away at. Any ideas? Is this just another version of goat's hooves? :whatgoat:

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I think I would ask the person you got her from about this. I have a goat with founder, and although her feet aren't like you describe, it is a terrible thing to have a foot problem that can't be fixed. Also, hopefully someone here with a lot more experience than me can help with this.

Jan

3. ToriStewart

ToriStewart New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    The problem with asking the previous owner is that she was, to put it very nicely, a goat hoarder. She had hundreds of goats on just a few acres and, while I believe she was very well meaning, the goats were all on cheap horse feed and poorly nourished. She didn't know when they were due to kid and just seemed like she was overwhelmed with her animal load. I wouldn't trust her opinion on the proper care and diagnosis of hoof problems. Had we not needed bred dairy goats that were supposedly due to kid "any day", we would not have purchased them. They're sweet, but not something a novice should have jumped into, methinks! Hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz. :shrug:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How often are you trimming her..?

Mostly all goats hate their hooves trimmed so the do try to pull away....

Does she limp?

On her knees alot?

Is her hoof smelly?

Is it hot to the touch?

Normally the heal doesn't need trimmed.. as often... as the toe area.... just needs to be done... if over grown....
    The white stuff .... can be scraped or trimmed depending if.... you see ...really pink to blood hoof ...then you can't go no more........ After scraping it put on Iodine...

If you scrape it away and their is good new stuff under it...I'd say.. she should be OK.... I believe .... It is kinda like... dead skin shedding off to expose the new.... but I can't seem to find info on this... for goats...

I see that chalky stuff sometimes on my Does.... usually I just trim it off....as it isn't that deep... :wink:

Make sure... she gets... her loose salts and minerals for goats....

5. ToriStewart

ToriStewart New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    I've trimmed the overlapping of the pad as needed, just a little at a time. They're definitely not over trimmed. We've only had them for right at 3 months. She doesn't limp at all, her hooves aren't smelly at all nor are they hot to the touch. I actually haven't even trimmed them low enough to see pink yet, as I didn't want to trim too much and cause issues. I haven't tried scraping it all away, I just noted that in fact, it *could* be scraped away, but wasn't sure if I should or not, since I haven't found anything telling me one way or the other. And since she's not limping and there are not outright indications that there's an infection, I really couldn't make heads or tails of this. The white chalky stuff IS her whole pad. Not just some here and there. There is the hoof wall, which grows like finger nails and then the inner pad. My other goat (her twin sister) has the same black/dark/calloused skin texture that I've seen in all other goats. It looks to me that if I scrape it all away, she may not have any hoof left! Hmm??? Weird!

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Well... if she isn't smelly... rotting...or limping... I'd say... she should be OK..... I tried to find something on the chalky findings... but I too... can't find anything on it about goats....... If you feel... it is something more...maybe get a vet to take a look at it...definitely... don't take all her hoof away....by scraping.... if she has nothing left... she needs to walk... :hug:

7. ToriStewart

ToriStewart New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Lol. Yes. I agree. Just figured I'd try a forum first. Thanks for the insight! :)

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :laugh: your welcome..... just hope someone else has an idea on this.... :hi5:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    can you get a picture?