The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! :) I am just starting out with Alpines, and I am trying to find any info I can about breeding, coloring, good qualities etc. that people look for in Alpines. If anyone has experiences or knowledge they wish to share, please do! :D

·
2,850 Posts
Yes, great job, Kailey.

I do agree with Kailey about the alpines being bossy with their herd mates. I find that to be true with mine. Mostly the older does picking on the younger does. But the nice thing about goats is that they don't hold a grudge...lol... I have seen my one doe butt another and a second later they are standing eating together. Another thing I have found is that alpines as a general rule tend to not have the best feet. So if your does have poor feet, then look for a buck with the best feet and legs to improve on that. I really love my alpines and have been super happy with this years production from my FF does.

What lines are your alpines from??

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, great job, Kailey.

I do agree with Kailey about the alpines being bossy with their herd mates. I find that to be true with mine. Mostly the older does picking on the younger does. But the nice thing about goats is that they don't hold a grudge...lol... I have seen my one doe butt another and a second later they are standing eating together. Another thing I have found is that alpines as a general rule tend to not have the best feet. So if your does have poor feet, then look for a buck with the best feet and legs to improve on that. I really love my alpines and have been super happy with this years production from my FF does.

OK, thanks for the tips! I will watch my doelings feet and see how they get once she has grown up a bit. I am not sure what lines she is from exactly, I will have to go look at her papers. But I will post when I read it. ;)

·
Banned
737 Posts
Yes, great job, Kailey.

My alpines or emma_c's?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts