Alpine or Nubian?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Maggie, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    When we bought ginger we were told she was alpine/boer cross. However I keep seeing these crosses up for sale and Ginger just does not look anything like them. She looks a bit more like the nubian/boers I have been seeing. What do you all think? Shes about the same height as our full boer doe, but definately a lot thicker bodied.
    The picture of her on the rock is when we first brought her home and she had just weaned her kids. The other pics are a few days ago.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      112.1 KB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      88 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      77.2 KB
      Views:
  2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She's got some Boer in her...the thickness of her legs and her horns are telling me that, her ears are not as long as a Nubians...most PB Nubi's have ears that extend to their nose. Her color though could be decieving..I've seen Nubians her color but never an Alpine.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm -- duno

I think she is cute nomatter the cross

4. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Maybe she is just mostly boer with a small amount of alpine? Her body/color appears to be more nubian mix, but then those ears throw me off. But her ears also don't stick out to the sides like the alpine crosses I've seen either? Heres another pic of her face.

Attached Files:

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    She's got a lot of boer in her, imo. She very well could be 3/4 boer, 1/4 alpine. The ears would be longer if she was a nubian/boer cross or mix. Though, it almost looks like her ears may have been frostbitten shorter at some point, but it's hard to tell for sure from photos. She is a cutie though whatever she is!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I too ...see alot of boer in her...... she is a pretty girl... :thumb:

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    I say alpine.. She doesn't have the characteristics of nubian in her.

My nubians all had ears that extend past the tip of their nose, and my boer/nubian crosses always at least met their nose. My nubian/boers also had some very pronounced roman noses,

my 2 cents

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she has a dish face - nubians and boers have a roman nose

so yah she looks to be alpine x

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Don't see a profile shot..... to verify the nose...:scratch: from the front angle shots and the facial features...ears.....body type.... white color... as a boer would have on her head... I am still leaning towards alot of boer..... :wink:

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a nubian's roman nose would be very dominant even in a front shot. She doesnt have it

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Here is a pic of one of my FB boer does... looks identical....except ear length... which I had them ...shorter eared in the past....like that.... :wink:

12. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Maybe she is 1/2 Boer, 1/4 Alpine, and 1/4 Nubian?
    A good Nubian will have a Roman nose and the extended ears but not all do.

I'm suggesting this mix because of the white on the top of the head, the badger stripes down the face, the darker area along the middle area of the nose, and the frost on the ears. All things that can be prominent in Nubians and Alpines..
    However I don't believe she is 1/2 Nub 1/2 Boer, or 1/2 Alpine 1/2 Boer. I think it's a mix of all three.

13. beefy

beefy New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Georgia
    she doesnt look nubian at all to me. i could see alpinexboer easily though.