alpine question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, Nov 4, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    So I'm starting out in alpines
    I have a stunner buck (lavender chamoisee)
    and a yearling FF doe (Broken chamoisee )

the yearling is a good sze for her age, but she's lacking the 'flesh'. The boers are always 'fleshy' and thick, but even the judges said she needed to mature and to fill out.
    :?

2. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Ooooooh, I'd love to see pictures.....

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    sometimes breeding is the only way a doe can mature.. if she's not very deep or doesn't have much capacity, that can be improved via breeding.. I say as long as she's atleast 80-90 pounds she should be fine

4. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    Agree - if she looks healthy and is in that weight range she will be fine. Remember she is a dairy goat ;) Like I told someone about the Nigerians - they are dairy goats not pygmies so they are going to looks a little different (and since I strive for dairy goats that are just small....). While you want her to carry a good weight you do not want her over weight as that can harm the shoulders when the fat gets under them when they are growing (have seen that happen in other herds).

I want pictures!!!! I used to have a French Alpine that was a two tone chamie and when she was a junior doe she was a stunning lavendar two tone - I just loved her color and wished she had stayed that color forever.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    [​IMG]
    this is her

she's plenty big enough, and confirmed bred, due Valentine's Day :love:

I just worry abou her being 'thin boned'

This doe from, http://ironrodalpines.com/style.shtml
    [​IMG]
    seems like a well boned, and fleshy doe. I maybe mine just needs to kid another round and mature naturally!

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh, she'll be 2 on Dec 28th
    does she look like an ok size? sorry the pic is so big tho

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    she looks very nice.. as to the other doe you listed , she looks older, like maybe a 4 year old.. maturity comes with age and breedings

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    well that doe was born in 97.. lol but thepicture looks like when she was about 4 lol

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thanks!
    on my doe, I'd like to see a (much better) udder, it's not attached well enough and not very smooth through the fore, but it may get better. I'd also like more width up front and longer, flatter rump.
    So hopefully she'll look even better this next year, I was reading Hoach's page and they said that they breed for slower maturing animals because it's more natural :)

10. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    Some lines do take longer - you might be suprised what she looks like as a 3-4 year old - some does that is when they really come into their prime. She is pretty - the doe I had looked much like her.

11. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I agree with the others Katrina. Give her time, remember, she is young and if you search some sites that have pictures of their does as they mature, you can see big changes as they age. As for the udder, what was the dam's udder like? This is something that can be improves upon with the right breeding.