Alpines at Big Oak Farm

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by bigoakfarm, Oct 5, 2007.

1. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    Hey there! I'm glad to see this board up. We have our alpines home now and they are even better than I hoped they would be. (My 13 yr old daughter says milking an alpine is only slightly harder than taking a jug out of the fridge to pour milk). I wanted to share the pics!

Erin (2 yr old milker)
    [​IMG]

Linda and Lisa (dry yearlings)
    [​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    NICE girls!!

Congratulations on their addition to your herd.

I love milking standard dairy - I now have minis and I am not so sure how I will like milking them but I do plan to try

3. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    Thanks Stacey. :D

We have milked the minis for years. I don't think you'll mind milking the minis. It's definitely different. I have kind of big hands and a bad back so the big girls are working out well for me but you may feel exactly the opposite. I think I saw your photo on GW somewhere and you're way tiny compared to me! We're still going to milk our little girls too but I think I'll get a machine in the spring with inflations for both sizes just to keep from having to adjust to milking both breeds by hand. I'm so lazy :p

Kristen

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Those Alpines are beautiful!!!! Having your daughter milking I'm sure saves you time.

5. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    Thanks! My daughter milked this morning because I was running behind and this was the first time she had milked one of the new girls. She's usually pretty good about pitching in when I need it and she actually milks a little faster than I do. She's part of the reason we're getting started with the alpines anyway. She is a HUGE help so I don't have to worry about taking on more than I can get done alone anymore. woohoo! Don't know what I'd do without her. :D

Kristen

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    That's great!! Sounds like you 2 have a great relationship!!!

7. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    They are very nice!! I hope to get to try milking this next year if everything goes well. With these Minis though I will DEFINITELY have to get a milking stand built first :D

8. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    Kriaten the girls look great. i could not be happier that they got such a wonderful new home. it is always hard to let them go but when you see pictures like those where they look so content it makes it so much esier. thank you for choosing them & giving them a great home.
    fritzie

9. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    Hey there Fritzie! It's great to see you online. I'll tell Erin when she stops by the office window for our morning chat tomorrow that you are keeping tabs on her. It's been hot again the last couple of days so we closed the windows and turned the AC back on. Erin has NOT been happy that no one can hear her "talking". :D

Kristen

10. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    Hi Kristen
    oh yea erin is a talker & she hates to be ignored :p her daughter that i am selling is the same way. give the girls a hug for me & if he dosen't stink to bad give legacy one to. :wink:

11. heidi19

heidi19 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    They are beautiful. You have a great herd going.(heidi19) Jan :lol: :D

12. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    Thanks so much Heidi!

Kristen

13. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member