The Goat Spot Forum banner

Already gone, but I don't know what happened!

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  TzFarm12 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am just devastated. I am a first time goat owner and just purchased my little goat babies a month or so ago. See my post in the introduction page to see pictures.

So, yesterday I got up in the morning and bottle fed my two 1.5 month old bucks. Left them in good spirits, healthy, with solid poop, able to pee...everything was great! Went to work. Came home and went out to the stable around 5 and found one of my babies dead. He was stiff as a board, a little bloated, and what appeared to be stuck underneath the dividing wall between the pen and storage area in the stable (only about 5 inches or less of space under there). At first we thought he got stuck and suffocated, but after thinking about it there was NO sign of struggle. There was wood shavings and some loose hay on the ground and it was intact. So now I am thinking something happened to him and he was either pushed there by the other goats, or he went there to try and relieve his pain somehow.

I guess my question is - what can kill a perfectly healthy, happy and beautiful goat in a matter of hours? I am just sick thinking about what I did wrong or didn't do. He was so healthy. Eating grass/hay really well, still on milk (cows milk and a little half/half), but naturally drinking less because of the grass. He was eating some grain occasionally (which was medicated grain), some baking soda occasionally (not much!) to help with some bloat (he was not as bad as his brother with the bloat), loose minerals free choice, clean water. He was so happy. He was a snuggler. After feeding all he wanted to do was lay on my lap and nuzzle his head into my neck. Ugh...I am so upset by all of this.

Any ideas? I do not want the same thing happening to the other goats. Thanks for reading and any suggestions or ideas you may have.

See less See more
#2 ·
oh, i'm so sorry for your loss. I lost one of my babies similar to that in December, and it's really heart breaking, so I know where you're coming from.

could he have gotten into something poisonous? he could have died from an internal birth defect. if you REALLY want, you can ask your vet if they'll do a necropsy on him.

i'm really sorry for your loss. :hug:

#4 ·
Any type of food he could have gotten into that wasn't for goats? Any posionous plants? I would immediately block off the space. Get a necropsy done to see if it would affect your other goats (you never know, but it probably won't.)

I am so sorry... That is such a horrible thing to see. :(

#6 ·
Hi All,

We buried him immediately so we will not be doing any tests on him now. We are getting another goat, a doe. I am not sure what happened. Husband thinks he got stuck, I think it was something else. Other goats are happy and healthy and hopefully they stay that way. Cleaned out the stable in case there was something in there. Blocked the space under the separating wall. Will keep an eye on the plants, but it has never been a problem and we had 5 adult goats in the same pasture last year with no problems.

The ages of our goats (only goats we have) are 1.5 months (the boys, well now just the boy) and 3 months (a doe). No adults.

Sad day. I really miss him. I guess I knew this was possible getting into the goat game, but I did not think I'd get so attached!

#12 ·
Thanks, Amy. It has affected me more than I thought it would. I clearly get attached easily!! Feeling rather awful, like I did something wrong. Nothing I can do now except keep my other goats happy and healthy.

#13 · (Edited)
It doesnt sound like you did anything wrong, your baby was one & a half mo old?
Entereo was a just stab in the dark here it could have been a hundred different things. CDT is a little peace of mind.
He could have gotten into something toxic like chicken feed or poisenous plant or just ate himself to death on even goat feed please dont blame yourself.
:hug:

#15 ·
"If I killed another one" is just a terribly untrue thing to state. You did nothing, and things liek this happen. I had a lamb choke to death by aspirating his food, but by golly I got over it in about a day just because this happens. You can never blame yourself, it won't do you ANY good. That's from someone experienced, ;)

#16 ·
Thanks everyone. I know, I don't mean to say that. Even though I "feel" that right now, I know it is just a way of responding to what happened. Goats die, animals die, I knew that. It is part of the package. I will get the CDT vaccine and take care of that with my other goats. I am excited to get another doe tomorrow! I'll be sure to post pictures. I think it will feel better to look in the pasture and see three goats instead of two. Puts me at ease :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.