Alright breeders...what are my goats doing...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by pennylullabelle, Jan 20, 2010.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Okay, I'll give you the order of events here...

Bought Penny and Lulla in Nov. Bred in Oct. Due beginning of March. This is all best guess. Could have been earlier...(the breeding, the breeder didn't have exact records).

3 days ago Penny starts acting funny. She is breathing quicker then usual, more vocal towards me, flagging her tail, her belly looks dropped or "caved" just beneath her hips. She has a handful of udder - it's new.

She acted normal last two days. Then I get home tonight from a tip down to San Jose. I've been gone all day. I go out to see my babies before bed and Isis is acting up. Isis is the pretty blue eyed doe I brought home from Capriola in OR about 3 weeks ago. She is bred, so it's odd to see her showing signs of heat. She is super vocal - not like her. She is the first to greet me at the gate - definitely not like her. And she is flagging her tail like no other. Penny is acting bucky now. She is doing that deep tone "ruh ruh ruh" noise. Sticking her tong out, sniffing urine then raising her lip and so on. She is also mounting Isis...which looks ridiculous because she is HUGE...I digress.

At this point I know either Isis didn't take and is in heat or Penny is getting close..

So, I figure, what the heck. I put Isis and Courageous into a stall together. He tries a few times and she stands for him, but he doesn't make contact. She flags and flags and he grunts and sneezes and mounts. About 10 minutes of this and she has had enough. She stops standing for him and starts getting noisy, butting him, and keeping her distance. I would be happy to have her bred to him if she didn't take when she was bred before I bought her, but he never made contact. I let her go home and opened up the stall so the whethers could go in for the night.

Put Isis back, Penny went back to acting bucky...

Any theories on what's going on with who?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Sounds like Isis is definately in heat and Penny is probably as well although i've seen does do this even though they weren't in heat at all. She could be getting close.

3. pennylullabelle

There is no doubt in my mind Penny is pregnant...Isis is just way too soon to tell. Any idea why she gave up standing for the buck?

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

OMG this is EXACTLY what happened to me last week! All my girls were acting like this! We took them to the vet and luckily they were all bred. He said sometimes they do this when there is a buck present and even more when they are cloe to kidding. If penny is "dropping" maybe she is due sooner than you thought

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Ok, yeah if you're sure Penny is pregnant then sounds like Isis is definately in season, but without seeing her for sure I can't be positive. A lot of my does won't put up with a buck for much longer after he's mounted her several times even if there's no penetration. Maybe she just had enough. I'm not sure why your buck didn't get the job done though, if she was in standing heat??? But I think with Penny she's just having a hormonal thing. When does are in the later part of their pregnancy some will act like they're in season and i've seen bucks show a lot of interest in them.

6. pennylullabelle

Well, he's a newbie. He has never bred a female. He might need the practice. But it explains why she gave up on him. I'll let them try again tomorrow. I'm not going to just leave them together because it drives the whethers crazy and she is not impressed!

7. pennylullabelle

After talking with Laura I'm entertaining the idea that he might have bred her...maybe...

He mounted, was up there maybe 5-10 seconds gyrating, then pushed back and fell on his knees. He got up, made a fuss, and did the same thing again. Again, only 5-10 seconds, forced back, fell down. After this she was having nothing to do with him and wouldn't stand.

No discharge on either goat. And I was under the impression it would take longer then 5-10 seconds...any opinions? Any one have a buck who breeds that quickly?

...Still going to put them back together tomorrow. If nothing else if she kids in April clearly they are Royal's. If she kids in June, Courageous'.

8. TinyHoovesRanch

Im glad i helped :ROFL:
    FUN CONVO LOL

Sunny breeds that quick, so Im guessing its possible!

9. pennylullabelle

Well, I'll be damned...you learn something new every day. This is my first season with goats, bare with me!

And quit laughing Laura. It's not that funny! :p

Okay...maybe it is...

10. TinyHoovesRanch

:ROFL: :slapfloor: your making me laugh!! Dont worry we all have to learn about this at some point!

Luckily I learned it with the horniest goat ever :ROFL:

11. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

Lol you guys are so funny.
    I had a nubian buck back when I was like 12 that went for the face. :doh: . . .
    in our desperation to get our girls bred, we ended up having to 'steer' him in the right direction . . . so as long as your buck knows which way to go . . .um . . .he should be fine . . . :oops:

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

a lot of bucks fall over after they have done their thing insude of a doe. Other bucks thrust their hips and throw their head back.
    It found like penny is getting very close. and the other doe may not be bred. It may also be a false heat. How long have you had her?
    beth

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    falling over is normal AND it can take less then 5 seconds to do the deed! it took Dude less then the time for the doe to slip in the gate and me to shut it so the others didnt follow suit to breed Angie. By the time I turned around after my swift motion he was already done

14. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    I thought the very same thing the first time I seen my buck mount a girl. How could it be so fast and so possible? LOL! I even posted a thread and asked about it.

15. pennylullabelle

Beth - I have only had Isis for a few weeks.

Stacey - Dude sounds like a lil pain in the butt! hahaha But hey...if the boys work fast, that means I don't have to stand and watch for hours. I had a few stud dogs who would try and try and try and try...finally make contact, then I'd have to wait another 30 mins.

Iwantgoats - at least I'm not the only one lol

I am going to be watching Penny very closely. She is the only female acting bucky towards Isis. Isis is still very noisy and flagging a lot. So, I will put her with the buck later for a few minutes again and take note of what I see. She did stand and let him go twice, so either it's a false heat or she didn't take before...

I would actually be quite happy to have Isis kid by Courageous. We all discussed why Royal was probably not the best match for her since his lines contained the same faults she herself has. But Courageous should produce better udders, tighter withers, and more body capacity. I had planned on having this doe kid and drying her up after she weaned them. Then giving her a few months off and taking her up to be bred to a Castle Rock buck for next Spring kids. But, I suppose this will do too! Now I just have to watch for her due date in April, if nothing, a due date in June...

16. pennylullabelle

Oh forgot...has anyone had a doe stand for breeding and get bred while already pregnant?

17. TinyHoovesRanch

One of my goats did that! I guess she needed some action while she was prego :ROFL:

18. pennylullabelle

Penny is still acting bucky and is very very needy. She also has a mucusy discharge! We're close!!! Wohoo c'mon babies!!!

Isis wouldn't stand for Penny or Courageous today. Guess I just have to watch her and wait for kids to determine who she is due by. My silly whethers...Iet them out while she was in with the buck...the ran and jumped and maaahhhed all over the place humping each other....lol

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have 3 bred does... 2 are soon Feb 23 and March 1, the other is March 23.

In the last 2 days, my 2 year old pygmy doe and my 9 year old pygmy/nigi have both been in heat...The doe that is due March 1st was mounting the pygmy doe and tongue flapping at her. The one that is due first never reacted and the one due last is being an aggressive witch.

As far as how quick these guys can get the job done.... Don't blink around here with my boys! Hank was celibate for 2 years until he bred Bailey, poor fellow was so anxious he missed then I felt bad cause DH was laughing at him...he did hit the mark though in just a few seconds time.

Chief doesn't romance the girls at all...he knows what he wants and he gets it done.