Also - updated Torn Udder post with photos

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by deineria, Feb 12, 2011.

1. deineria

deineria New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Huntington, WV
    Okay - the tears, though the bleed, as fairly small and superficial

But this doe's udder is shot :( I am sure. It is SUCH a shame.

Here she was two weeks ago:

[​IMG]

Here is is post horrific kidding that ended up with two dead kids. . .

and mind you, it LOOKS better, than it did when she kidded - which is scary. . .

Anyone ever see such a thing? Milk is clear, at this time no mastitis - - -
    the injured areas are somewhat hard - but it is from swelling, it seems -

A MESS :( We've miked her out 3 times today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ALSO - Look at her poor female parts :( Those kids were stuck - two coming out at the same time - it was bad. . .

Should that go down in time? It is just hugely swollen, but like the teats, actually. . .

We clean her up pre milking . ..but there is still some gooping. . .very mildly. . .as you can see. . .
    she kidded less than 48 hours ago.

2. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    The girl parts are pretty normal. Some of my girls had very swollen girl parts after esp. if a lot of help was needed. Make sure you give her an antibiotic and keep things clean. As for the teats- I'll let someone with more experience in that answer.

3. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    Ouch! Well you can use some prep H for her swollen vulva. As far as her teats...I don't know...did they get very swollen prior to kidding? I would definitely try keeping her milked out. Maybe milk her several times a day and try not to let her get full to see if they can heal. As raw as they look I would worry about infection too...

4. deineria

deineria New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Huntington, WV
    They were much bigger prior to kidding. I've covered them in lanolin, but maybe that isn't a good choice?

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    ouch...I would definitely put prep H on her vulva as well as get her on antibiotics asap. That has to be hurting bad. :( Maybe try giving her some Arnica Montana as well...may help some with the pain.

6. deineria

deineria New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Huntington, WV
    I have her on excenel because I had to go in a pull a kid out. . .going to get 2 more days worth at the vet's today. I am covering the udder in lanolin, too. ..

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It really appears as though she has an exteremely bad scraping of the skin, using the lanolin will keep it soft and will prevent it from scabbing, and I would continue milking her though it may be irritating to her, tight teats would hurt her worse.

What you could do after stripping her out, wash her well again and apply a triple antibiotic ointment to the teats and lightly wrap with gauze, to keep the med on her longer without having any bedding stick, Though it looks really bad, I think she will heal fine.
    AI secong the preparation H for the vulva...Witch Hazel works great for swelling too.

8. deineria

deineria New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Huntington, WV
    Updated photo from tonight - there are many small tears on the left side . . .

[​IMG]

I wrapped it lightly in vetwrap after milking

9. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh my goah -- what happened to her teats? Did they just swell and become inflamed after the kidding? Oh how horrid for you (and her) to have to go theough! I'm sorry...

10. deineria

deineria New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Huntington, WV
    I am not sure - they were worse than this while she was in labor :(

They have tears - I think she has kicked at it because it was so full. ..

11. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Wow, lots of improvement with her teats. Keep up the good work, it pains me to see her teats poor girl. Your doing a great job with her though, cause she's getting better. Keep us updated it's really cool to see the progress of healing she's making. :)

12. deineria

deineria New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Huntington, WV
    [​IMG]

Her udder tonight - pre milking

[​IMG]

13. deineria

deineria New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Huntington, WV
    Pic from tonight - maybe slightly better on the awful side - much better, almost normal, on the left

The blackish areas are scabs and bruising - mostly scabs

[​IMG]

14. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Oh my gosh you are doing a great job with her. She is looking tons better, pat yourself on the back because she is looking great. Good work thanks for the update.

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She is healing GREAT!! You definately need a hug for doing what you are and for going through what you have :hug: Keep up what you are doing...she'll be totally healed in no time and I think her udder is not ruined at all, AWESOME JOB :leap:

16. thomaskids

thomaskids New Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Menifee, Ca
    Oh my goodness I am so sorry!! Hope she gets better!! :hug:

17. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    I think you are doing a wonderful job and that she is improving quickly. I agree with Liz that I doubt her udder is ruined. I even think that once she's healed she will have a lovely FF udder. And some very milkable teats. Keep up the good work!

18. deineria

deineria New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Huntington, WV
  19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...you are doing a wonderful job....keep up the good work.... :hi5: :thumb: