Alternatives to the real thing anyone have any?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Okay, I am terribly cheap. I admit it. Won't deny it in the least. I know that there are some things that you just CANNOT skimp on. But the rest, I want to know. For example: Instead of buying a cheese curd cutting knife, you can use a bread knife. Instead of buying cheese cloth, you can buy muslin.

I would have posted this in the dairy diaries, but I'd like to know if there are tricks for regular goatie things.

What else can I buy that will do the trick for other things. Help a newbie out? 'Cause this goat stuff is going to cost a fortune...

~Dayna

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: tips and tricks anyone have any?

right at the top of this forum (Goat frenzy) there is such a thread called "Tricks of the Trade"

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=353

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Re: tips and tricks anyone have any?

I remember one of the members posting about using a "permanant" coffee filter to filter milk...and it works great! They are made out of a very fine metal mesh so they can be washed and reused many, many times...and they only cost around $5 at walmart. It's cheaper and less wasteful than buying disposable filters.

Also, instead of buying a fancy milk pail, you can pick up a stainless steel cooking pot--people practically give them away at yard sales. You can cut a half-moon in the lid and it works just as well as any "milk pail" for a fraction of the cost.

I will add more as it comes to mind...

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yeah Stacey, I just edited my topic line. I'm looking for alternatives to the "real" store bought goat things. Or maybe something made cheaply.

5. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Funny River, I just got a free stainless steel milk pail, but it has no lid. Any ideas what I can use? I was thinking of buying a new plastic paint bucket lid and cutting a half moon hole out of it. But I was afraid it would take on a sour milk smell because plastic is porous...

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use plastic pails to milk into without a half moon lid...;no bad smaells in them and I only use the lids when I'm switching goats and to transport to the house. The ice cream pails would work fine, I have access to "restaurant disposables" as I work in one.

I use white pillow cases to drain my cheese. For molds I use the plastic containers that yogurt or margarine comes in.