Always triplets?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by billmac, Jan 11, 2018 at 7:45 PM.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    If a doe has triplets, is she always more likely to have triplets?

I have a doe who has kidded twice, and is due to kid in a couple weeks. In her first kidding she had premature triplets and none survived. In her second kidding, she had triplet bucklings. They were hale and healthy and nursing them wore her down to skin and bones. Once they were weaned she had no milk left for us.

I'm really hoping she doesn't have triplets again, but of course it's a little out of my hands now. I'm just wondering if they are prone to it.

2. Davon

Davon Member

Sep 21, 2017
    North Carolina
    I think it is genetic. I have heard of farmers who won't keep a buck unless it is from triplets or better. My one doe has had triplets 3 years now. The other had one the first year and two every year after. A very small sample size for a study though, so I would like to hear what more experienced ones have to say.

SalteyLove likes this.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I am not sure if a genetic tie has been confirmed or not but most breeders say absolutely. Many folks choose bucks who were a twin themselves to pass on "twinning"

It also depends on the does body condition and feed intake at conception.

Kath G. and NyGoatMom like this.
  4. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    As far as nursing, we just let the last set of triplets figure it out, and they seemed to do fine. Is that the right approach?

5. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    It is a doe controlled thing and tends to be genetic but that also varies
    Id be a little concerned about her losing milk so fast, What are you feeding her? Is she getting minerals and fresh water?

6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Everybody has a different approach.

Some Boer breeders will allow the kids to get colostrum for 48 hours or so, and begin introducing a bottle at that time, and then sometime in the first couple weeks sell 1 kid as a bottle baby.

Other folks, knowing she struggled to keep up with triplets before, may offer all three kids a bottle once or twice per day to help her out.

Last set of triplets - how much and what was she eating? And do you creep feed kids? Creep feeding can take some demand off the doe.

7. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Typically when kids are nursing, or if we are milking, the doe will get 4 cups of sweet feed. I would add a little more once the kids starting eating grain. Didn't creep feed.

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    What breed is she? It's hard to say if letting her raise them all without help was a good thing or bad thing. If as you said they wore her down to skin and bones and she had no milk left, then I'd probably question if you will allow her to raise 3 in the future. No doubt they could pull her down again. You can pull one of the babies as a bottle kid/sell as bottle kid, or you can supplement them to help her out.

9. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
  10. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    Twinning is always best

11. Davon

Davon Member

Sep 21, 2017
    North Carolina
    There is usually one small one with my triplets. It works best if I give that one a bottle once or twice a day. Otherwise the small one gains very slowly.

12. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    If there is obviously a runt then you should probably supplement it.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The Doe says how many kids.
    With flushing or other feeding methods.
    For more or less. It isn't up to the buck.

Always monitor multiples.
    Not all will get the teat and the smallest will go without.

We have to make sure the mama can feed all the kids and has enough daily milk to do so. If not, we need to supplement feed or just pull 1 or 2 depending on the doe and what she can handle.

Feeding mama properly is key as well.
    Multiples can be hard on the udder with fighting over the teat and can cause sores on the teat, which will cause the mama, to not want to feed her babies.

NyGoatMom and Kath G. like this.
  14. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    I think it's a bit of both, genetics and nutrition/egg flushing. From going off of personal examples:

I have a doe that has triplets every year, (three years now) 2 bucks and a doe, same color patterns every time (it's very deja vu-ish). A couple other does I have, seem to also follow similar consistencies year to year.

But

Every year one of the does must draw the short straw and has quads, every year there's one and every year it's been a different doe.

So that's kind of why I personally feel it's a little of both, but I could be wrong.

Kath G. likes this.
  15. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    You will probably start to notice the runt fairly soon after birth and should start supplementing it (and possible the other two). The runts do seem to fall behind the other two rather quickly.

16. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I have one that throws 3 or more everytime. I pick one right away to bottle feed, but I still let him live with mama and siblings. Helps the doe from loosing too much condition, and everyone is fed well. Has been working well for me - I have nubians.