Am I making this too complicated?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by thekibblegoddess, Jan 9, 2015.

1. thekibblegoddess

thekibblegoddess Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Sylvania, GA
    We have 1 acre in front of our home that i would like to fence off for a goat pasture. I would like to have a Nubian doe and a wether. Hubs and I have agreed on fencing layout and a portable 2-sided sun/rain shelter to go inside the fence. We're looking at putting up a divided 12' x 12' shed-roofed mini-barn; 1/2 for a night shelter and 1/2 for a milking area/ feed storage. Because of our property layout the barn area is across the driveway from the pasture. I think i need an attached 10' x 10' pen with a door from their sleeping area to the outside. Do I need an attached pen, or am I making this more complicated that necessary?

2. Goat_in_Himmel

Goat_in_Himmel Active Member

Jun 23, 2013
    British Columbia
    Why not wait and see whether it's necessary? It might not be. There's almost always some tweaking that needs to be done, so if you have a spot in mind and it turns out to be needed, you'll know exactly what to do should the day come.

3. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC
    An attached pen could be nice, but I don't think it's at all necessary as long as you're okay leading them to their pasture every day. For just two, half of a 12x12 should be plenty of room at night. I lock my girls in a 10x10 pen with a small shelter inside every night and let them out in the morning.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

An attached pen would be nice for days when they can't be in the pasture. And there will be those days.