The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe Heidi (nubian) had discharge 2 days ago. I have been bringing her to the bucks pen 2 x a day for roughly 1/2 hour to an hour morning and evening. I have been doing this since BEFORE the discharge was noticed.

Here is what happens....Heidi does NOT want to go in, but she does begrudgingly. :rolleyes: She runs from the buck...pees on the ground several times all the while he snorts,spits,pees,licks,rubs, you name it on her and himself *yuck* but anyway, she has not stood for him but the last 2 days she has not run as much? I guess you could say. :sigh:

She also blats and carries on if I even attempt to walk away AT ALL> not even out of sight, mind you. :confused:

In the meantime, my wether is acting crazy trying to establish dominance?( I am guessing )by kinda playfully headbutting her....and just generally getting in the way and being a complete nuisance.

Now in the backyard, Daisy Mae and Bailey are screaming bloody murder. Daisy cause she can't see Heidi...and hears Heidi calling to her, I am assuming.And Bailey cause someone else gets to do something she can't. :rolleyes: Now if I put Daisy Mae in the pen with them (she also needs to be bred but he seems not to like her as much, nor her him!), she ends up getting in the way as well.

Amongst all this chaos,I have my 64 year old mom yelling from her window on the second floor...."Is it working?... Has he bred her yet?!....Oh, that is so nasty how they act...ugh...MEN!!" :help:

So needless to say, breeding so far is very stressful...LOL....

So after all of this, what am I looking for? How long should she be in the buck pen before breeding?
Last year, I never saw it happen as I left her in with him for 3 weeks and we had twin doelings, so i know she stood. This year i wanna know a rough date so i am trying to visualize the actual mating.

I have been tying my wether up to keep him out of the way and not allowing Daisy mae in at the same time....but neither seems to help...(neither does telling my mom they are't like humans and he was made to act like that!! :/

Any advice?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I'm sorry, but I'm staying out of this one! :eek: :lol: I wish you the very best with getting Heidi bred! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
With my own does, usually the 24 hours before I see any puffiness to their back ends or even discharge, is when I notice the behavior changes... mounting other does, doing the grunty talk like a buck, tail flagging etc. Once I see these changes I leash my chosen boy and take him to her, when she's ready there are no issues with her standing for him. If she runs or piddles constantly I know she's not quite ready and will take the buck to her in the afternoons and evenings until she is ready to stand.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
lol..breeding season can be so much more stressy than kidding season...you can take a rag and give your buck a real good rub down...get his sweet smell all over it...hang it in the girls pen near their favorite spot...some does will "flirt" withthe rag when ready...other signs we find are being mouthy..some does will scream bloody murder when in heat...no tacked at all lol..other are tail waggers and some play buck with the other does...patients...it will happen.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol..breeding season can be so much more stressy than kidding season...you can take a rag and give your buck a real good rub down...get his sweet smell all over it...hang it in the girls pen near their favorite spot...some does will "flirt" withthe rag when ready...other signs we find are being mouthy..some does will scream bloody murder when in heat...no tacked at all lol..other are tail waggers and some play buck with the other does...patients...it will happen.
Define "flirt" please :)

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
to flirt means to rub against the rag..usually wagging her tail..she may talk to it..some will rub on it and walk away..it just depends..some Does dont pay it any mind at all lol..

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
You could always try once a day for 21 days and then you are behavior testing her daily through a whole cycle. You needed some fun, right? :D

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL! It's looking like that'll be it :D Not sure it's my idea of fun, though...haha

Tonight she kept trying to hide in his sheltercause it was drizzling..(his shelter is too short to allow breeding very well) .....so I kept walking a few steps away from the pen so she'd come back out LOL :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I'm currently having an issue opposite yours. My Sr doe is usually sneaky with her behavior but the further into Fall she is blatant about flirting at the fenceline with the boys... well, as I milked her this morning I had noticed that she looked a bit puffy "back there" and because my young buckling is penned away from the does at night and hasn't been acting bucky just yet, I chose today to be the day that he gets penned with my 2 older bucks. Wouldn't you know it though that the little turd found a spot in the electric fence that he could fit under! And wouldn't you know that I saw him do it and caught him just as he was ready to mount this too willing doe!
I fixed the fence area with another strand and put him back in the buck pen... he stayed there until bedtime when I brought him to his crate :)
I like Karens idea of testing her daily for the next month... you'll be a pro when telling for sure then :)

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm currently having an issue opposite yours. My Sr doe is usually sneaky with her behavior but the further into Fall she is blatant about flirting at the fenceline with the boys... well, as I milked her this morning I had noticed that she looked a bit puffy "back there" and because my young buckling is penned away from the does at night and hasn't been acting bucky just yet, I chose today to be the day that he gets penned with my 2 older bucks. Wouldn't you know it though that the little turd found a spot in the electric fence that he could fit under! And wouldn't you know that I saw him do it and caught him just as he was ready to mount this too willing doe!
I fixed the fence area with another strand and put him back in the buck pen... he stayed there until bedtime when I brought him to his crate :)
I like Karens idea of testing her daily for the next month... you'll be a pro when telling for sure then :)
Lol...lil bugger! Wish Heidi would just give in...sheesh, I'm beginning to feel bad for him :p

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I have read once that waiting until at least the second heat cycle to breed adds to fertility : ) who knows..maybe she wants three babies instead of one lol.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts