Am I missing something here??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by SkyesRanch, Sep 19, 2011.

1. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    Okay this udder belongs to the highly esteemed MCH Green Gate Lil Red Riding Hood *D,E. This doe is supposed to be so wonderful. Ellen Dorsey said this about her " His dam, the late great MCH Green Gate Lil' Red Riding Hood *D E was the most consistant doe in the PromisedLand herd..." How can that be with an udder like that? If I took this doe to Texas shows, her udder wouldn't get a second look, heck it probably wouldn't get a first look. I don't even like her conformation really. Steep rump, unlevel topline, funky looking legs, weak brisket, and she doesn't look sharp. Her udder is very untasteful to me too, NO MSL, bad teat placement, the teats point way forward, poor blending in the fore udder, looks like it is low, and I am not seeing any attachment in the rear udder.

Am I being too hard? I really am not seeing it with this doe. If she was in my herd I would sell her for $250 as a family milker. :shrug: Tell me if I am just blind... :)

Attached Files:

2. Mandara Farm

Mandara Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Huh. I'm really curious to see what some other experienced folks have to say. I'm just still learning what good conformation looks like. Your comments about weak MSL, etc, do seem accurate. Maybe her dam, who is/was so highly prized, was poorly paired? :shrug:

She's a lovely color though! :greengrin:

3. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    I do like her udder. She is lacking MSL and does not have the best teat place ment, but that does not count for that many points on the scorecard. I think it is just a bad angle on her conformation as I think she is a stylish little girl. Overall I don't think she is the most beautiful goat I have seen, but I don't think she is ugly at all ;) :hi5:

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    could be a FF udder too. look at her body, she obviously wasn't very old or mature when the pics were taken. udders change drastically after the first few freshenings.she's also not stacked in the photo. but wshe is not swteep in the rump, she has excellent lenght and great dairy character.

5. GoatJoy

GoatJoy Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx
    I'm also interested to see what everyone says... this is an excellent learning experience :greengrin:

6. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    I guess I am just blind. :shrug: lol Cause I just am not seeing it. I will agree she is younger in the pictures, I am going to guess a maybe a 1st or 2nd freshener. Even so, she doesn't show the potential I like to see in younger does. I know this doe isn't my problem and she is dead and long gone, but I just wanted to see what yall thought. I have seen her many times on Dill's website and it finally hit me, I was really shocked when I saw she even kept a buck from her. But I guess that is just me. :greengrin:

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    This doe herself is nothing special... physically. It's all about what she's produced. This doe was an amazing producer...just look at her daughters. Here for example: http://www.oldmountainfarm.com/Does-Ref ... oBeep.html ...Along with some outstanding daughters...many of her sons have produced those good udders too.

If you can find a doe who outproducers herself so well as Red Riding Hood did...you've got a very valuable doe and an asset to your herd. It's amazing how some goats can produce so much better than themselves time and time again...yet they themselves are average and you may have sold the goat early on as a pet or milk doe. They made a good decision in purchasing and keeping this doe...she was definately something special.

As far as Ellen keeping that buck...i'm assuming you mean Bounty Hunter? Look at his daughters and look at his full sister. I wouldn't hesitate adding him or a full brother to my herd. Here's another link to his full sister: http://promisedlandfarm.net/BoPeep.htm

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

How old is she ( I understand she is now gone)? It could be that "in the day" this was considered an excellent udder. Improvements happen pretty quickly and what was great 5 years ago wouldn't even place right now. I'm not saying that I think this udder is a great udder but if she goes back quite a few years, this may have been considered a great udder back then.

9. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    She did produce very well. I don't understand that, any doe I have ever had that looked like that, produced that. I guess she is special in that sense. I wish I could get a doe that doesn't look all that great but produces better than herself 10 fold. lol I guess I need to get more familiar with a certain line. I have my name down for 3 kids from Ellen (out of MCH/GCH Shimmer, MCH/GCH Doo Wop, and Feline Lucky) I think I want to put my focus on Cowpoke and Luck of the Draw lines. Which is what Ellen and Keith Harrel has done, and you see how far that has gotten them. ;)

Which would you say are Ellen's best bucks? I love XM and I really hope to get a kid out of him and Feline Lucky. And Doo Wop an Shimmer are bred to Genuine Article.

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    IMO bounty hunter and topgun are my favs

11. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    I have a Top Gun daughter. I love her!!! She is Dill's TG Fantasia's littermate sister.

12. That's what I have come to understand exactly Kylee!! I have been tempted to sell animals who were less than my standards. But a good friend talked some sense into me! Unfortunately for me I'm not a patient person, and it takes a few years to REALLY see how an animal will produce.

Skyes...I agree I would have totally looked over her, but I chalk that up to my inexperience :wink:

And that's what I think Ellen was getting at.....she didn't say she was the nicest doe ever. She said she was the most consistant producer.

13. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    Have I said how much I love this forum lately???? :hug: :grouphug:

I have been on several horse forums and they are so nasty to each other, I never could stay on them. I love the peace and kindness on this forum. We may not see things the same way but that doesn't mean we jump on each other for it. I love that!!! :love: :hi5:

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    My favorite bucks would probably be the Cowpoke sons and Tune's XM...however, I don't have experience with any of her stock so I couldn't tell you for sure which ones would be the best of the best of her bucks. They all look nice. I really admire her breeding program over there. :thumb: