The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few does that are really sunken in the back part of spine. Not sure what it's called. They get alfalfa hay. Milking doe receives timothy pellets, goat tender, grain, BOSS daily when I milk her. I am trying to attach pictures Thanks

Attachments

·
1,524 Posts
Or, like several of my higher producers, she is putting all her weight in the milk pail. If I "up" their feed, they "up" their milk production!

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
You can tell because goats with Liver Fluke don't fill their rumen. It causes pain to have pressure on the liver. They don't go out and browse and come back fuller looking. They will also start getting dry hair down their spine as the liver becomes more damaged.

Liver Fluke is it's own parasite and they are moving around the nation much more then normal because of hay being shipped to all drought areas. The only things that will kill them is Ivomec Plus or Valbazen.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
You can tell because goats with Liver Fluke don't fill their rumen. It causes pain to have pressure on the liver. They don't go out and browse and come back fuller looking. They will also start getting dry hair down their spine as the liver becomes more damaged.

Liver Fluke is it's own parasite and they are moving around the nation much more then normal because of hay being shipped to all drought areas. The only things that will kill them is Ivomec Plus or Valbazen.
Okay. Then I'm ruling out liver fluke on my doe then, because she comes back looking fuller, you can feel it too:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did treat with valbazen 3 days ago. Her hair isn't dry that I can tell. Should I treat the valbazen again?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Are you sure about that? I'm using Rumatel dewormer; I've heard good things about it, so I was really hoping it'd be good for most worms. The active ingredient (as you probably already know;) ) is Morantel Tartrate. I'm not really worries about them having worms right now, but I wouldn't want this to be a problem in the future.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Hmmm... I guess I'll just have to be on the look out for liver fluke.Funny that they use it on elephants! I never thought about them having worms, lol. ;)

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
As far as I have heard what you worm with has to contain a flukecide (like clorsulon) to kill liver flukes. In Ivomec plus, the plus is the clorsulon which is why it is different from Ivomec, it is not advised to give Valbazen (which also contains a flukecide) and Ivomec plus to does less than 100 days bred as it can cause them to abort. After 100 days it is supposed to be safe, but if you don't need to give it I would wait until they kid then give it to them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts