Am I pro-life for goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Mandoziz, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    I have a hard decision to make within the next six days. A lady I know is downsizing her herd and offered to give me one of her nubian does. I would offer her a nice pet home where she could retire from breeding (even though she's only 5). She was not bred at the time. We set up a time for delivery and then I got an email saying there was an unexpected issue. The doe went into heat and her Boer buck jumped his fence and bred her. :sigh: She would be due the end of December. I have no experience with breeding anything, or milking anything. I was told I could give her a shot of lutalyse on the 11th day after breeding to end the pregnancy.
    What would you all do?
    I did think I might breed her once at some time, but I really wanted full bred nubian kids not Boer/nubian crosses. Plus kids in December? December and January in Kansas is pretty rough. Can young survive very well? I just don't know what to do. Any of you have experience using lutalyse?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Assuming this doe is not a first timer herself she should kid fine with no issues.

What is your barn set up like? Can you close them in at night? if so then the kid/s should be fine even in the cold temps. Goats actually do pretty well in the cold - heat is harder on them.

As to using lutalyse - its up to you if you want to go that route or not.

Will this doe have a buddy or will she be by herself? goats need a goat companion they are herd animals

3. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    I bet you wouldn't have any problems finding homes for the baby/babies, and I'm sure everyone on TGS could offer advice & help you with a winter kidding. Lots of people do winter kiddings.

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    To ease your concerns, Nubie/Boer crosses make nice animals. And its true, they do better in the cold than the heat.
    Just no drafts.
    You & they should do fine.
    My vet wouldnt sell me lute for a super prego who I thought should be induced without bringing her in :veryangry: She didnt do well.

5. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    You don't say whether or not you have other goats. If you don't, then I would let her kid. It will give her company, which goats need. Granted, they can and will bond with another type of animal if you have one, but another goat is always best.

If you are really not prepared for a doe kidding, especially in winter, then it is up to you. There are alot of knowledgable people here to help you. Plus, seeing as how she has had kids before, she will pretty much know what to do. I would ask the owner how she is giving births and how many kids she normally has. This will help prepare you.

As far as the mix goes, you would most likely have no problems giving them away as pets. Or, if she has a buckling, whether him and keep him as pet and companion for her.

6. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Set yourself up with a heat lamp and a draft free spot to put the babies. Have plenty of old towels on hand. Get a bottle ready. It is good to give them colostrum in the bottle and get them to where they will take it, even if you plan to dam raise. You and your new friend will do fine.