The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Ehhhh lol I will milk colostrum from does with singles and will milk the dairy girls at first and when they wean kids till they dry up if that counts lol I do have a jersey cow that I milk 2X a day if that counts lol

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Here, the tradition is milk. Very few people know what a delicacy goat meat is. To have a goat farm = make a living from making goat cheese. You need some 50 goats to be able to live on them. These people very seldom answer letters, for they simply have no time!

Personally, I let the kids take their choice first, and milked in the summer. When autumn came, I slaughtered and put in the freezer. When having only goat meat for dinners, I got rather tired of the taste. Most milk farm owners kill the kids at birth, having no market for the meat. :(

Those who have only one or two goats, have them as pets and very seldom eat them.

In older times, (before I was born!) we had a tradition here that milk was very female. For a man to milk a cow was totally out of the question! (You can read about it in Moberg's "The Emigrants", which I refer to now and then.) Even handling the milk was a female thing, which enabled women to make a living by making cheese.

Eating cheese and drinking milk was okay for a man.

I am glad that such traditions of gender roles are now mainly history. I liked it to handle the butchering, that was a breaking of tradition even when I began to do it.

Once I heard our "King of Goat Veterinary Science", Karl-Erik Hammarberg, say that some people actually had begun to breed goats for meat. It did not occur to me that people abroad have done so for centuries.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here, the tradition is milk. Very few people know what a delicacy goat meat is. To have a goat farm = make a living from making goat cheese. You need some 50 goats to be able to live on them. These people very seldom answer letters, for they simply have no time!

Personally, I let the kids take their choice first, and milked in the summer. When autumn came, I slaughtered and put in the freezer. When having only goat meat for dinners, I got rather tired of the taste. Most milk farm owners kill the kids at birth, having no market for the meat. :(

Those who have only one or two goats, have them as pets and very seldom eat them.

In older times, (before I was born!) we had a tradition here that milk was very female. For a man to milk a cow was totally out of the question! (You can read about it in Moberg's "The Emigrants", which I refer to now and then.) Even handling the milk was a female thing, which enabled women to make a living by making cheese.

Eating cheese and drinking milk was okay for a man.

I am glad that such traditions of gender roles are now mainly history. I liked it to handle the butchering, that was a breaking of tradition even when I began to do it.

Once I heard our "King of Goat Veterinary Science", Karl-Erik Hammarberg, say that some people actually had begun to breed goats for meat. It did not occur to me that people abroad have done so for centuries.
WOW how interesting!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts