AmandaB has an emergncy with a kid.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Sfgwife, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I have a baby goat born on March 5 he was a twin. Today has been a horrible day he accidentally got ran over his head is a bit swollen, but he is responsive. He can move some just cannot get up. He acts like he has the sloppy kid syndrome the way he acts with his head. I’ve given him some of this mother milk, and have put him in warm water. Any suggestions on what I can do I would greatly appreciate it

@Amanda B here is your question sweetheart. People will reply soon.

Can you all tag her when you reply please. So that she sees them. She is new and put this in @GoofyGoat’s kidding thread.

Iluvlilly! and cristina-sorina like this.
  2. Amanda B

Amanda B New Member

Mar 8, 2020
    Alabama
    Thank you.

Sfgwife likes this.

3. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    What is his temp?
    It sounds like inflammation in his head, I'm hesitant to say anything because I've never dealt with this but try getting something cold on his head to reduce swelling. How do his lungs sound?
    What was he run over by? How did it hit him? was it his entire body or was he hit and fell down? Can you get a vet to see him? He might have internal bleeding.
    @Amanda B

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd be getting Banamine in him. You need to get inflammation down.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  5. Royal030519

Royal030519 New Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Dighton ma
    My goat is a first timer her water broke around 730 800 she's had contractions but no sign of baby

6. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    You need to go in and check to make sure the baby is in the right position or get the vet out right now! Also please make your own thread.

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I would definiately give banamine and b complex for sure! Good luck!

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Wouldn't Dexamethasone be better? If no fever, dex would bring down the swelling? was the head on a giving surface (sand, mud, etc) or hard? Poor kid. And you owners, accidents do happen. Things just happen.

GoofyGoat and cristina-sorina like this.
  9. cristina-sorina

cristina-sorina Well-Known Member

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    I agree with the dexamethasone, and the banamine as well. Poor little guy, and poor you, that's a rough day. Keep him warm, clean and keep giving him his moms milk.

We once had a kitten that got ran over (4months old). He was hiding under the car and the car tire ran him over on our cement driveway. We thought he was paralyzed, my husband wanted to put him down but my daughters cried, so we gave it a go at nursing him back to health.

We fed him, kept him warm, clean and indoors, girls did some physical therapy with him and after a week or so he started to move again. This was three years ago, he is now a fully mature grown cat who is an absolute sweetheart. What I'm trying to say is don't give up, sometimes our animals are more resilient than we think. Once the swelling comes down he may be just fine.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  10. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    @Amanda B I'm so sorry your baby was hurt.
    Are his pupils reactive to light on both sides?
    Is one side of his body stronger than the other?
    Is he drooling?
    These would be signs of a head injury...
    Can he get up on his own? Or just floppy?
    Keep his body supported if he's floppy because of the potential of internal injuries.

Truthfully a vet is your best option. Keep him warm and fed if he's eating and take him in.
    Vitamin b complex or thiamine is good.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get the baby to a vet right away.
    If the damage is severe, the baby may be suffering. :( Xrays/ cat scan, needs to be done to see if things are not severe. Internal bleeding may be happening.

12. cristina-sorina

cristina-sorina Well-Known Member

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    @Amanda B hows your baby buckling doing?

13. Amanda B

Amanda B New Member

Mar 8, 2020
    Alabama
    Does anyone have links where I can order some? He’s improving a little, but head is still floppy, but he kicks around as though we wants to get up.

14. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    If you are talking about banamine it has to come from a vet.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I wish you would get the baby to a vet right away. They can prescribe proper meds. Or let you know if there is too much brain damage.

GoofyGoat and Sfgwife like this.