The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a baby goat born on March 5 he was a twin. Today has been a horrible day he accidentally got ran over his head is a bit swollen, but he is responsive. He can move some just cannot get up. He acts like he has the sloppy kid syndrome the way he acts with his head. I've given him some of this mother milk, and have put him in warm water. Any suggestions on what I can do I would greatly appreciate it

@Amanda B here is your question sweetheart. People will reply soon.

Can you all tag her when you reply please. So that she sees them. She is new and put this in @GoofyGoat's kidding thread.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
What is his temp?
It sounds like inflammation in his head, I'm hesitant to say anything because I've never dealt with this but try getting something cold on his head to reduce swelling. How do his lungs sound?
What was he run over by? How did it hit him? was it his entire body or was he hit and fell down? Can you get a vet to see him? He might have internal bleeding.
@Amanda B

·
8,394 Posts
Wouldn't Dexamethasone be better? If no fever, dex would bring down the swelling? was the head on a giving surface (sand, mud, etc) or hard? Poor kid. And you owners, accidents do happen. Things just happen.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Wouldn't Dexamethasone be better? If no fever, dex would bring down the swelling? was the head on a giving surface (sand, mud, etc) or hard? Poor kid. And you owners, accidents do happen. Things just happen.
I agree with the dexamethasone, and the banamine as well. Poor little guy, and poor you, that's a rough day. Keep him warm, clean and keep giving him his moms milk.

We once had a kitten that got ran over (4months old). He was hiding under the car and the car tire ran him over on our cement driveway. We thought he was paralyzed, my husband wanted to put him down but my daughters cried, so we gave it a go at nursing him back to health.

We fed him, kept him warm, clean and indoors, girls did some physical therapy with him and after a week or so he started to move again. This was three years ago, he is now a fully mature grown cat who is an absolute sweetheart. What I'm trying to say is don't give up, sometimes our animals are more resilient than we think. Once the swelling comes down he may be just fine.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
@Amanda B I'm so sorry your baby was hurt.
Are his pupils reactive to light on both sides?
Is one side of his body stronger than the other?
Is he drooling?
These would be signs of a head injury...
Can he get up on his own? Or just floppy?
Keep his body supported if he's floppy because of the potential of internal injuries.

Truthfully a vet is your best option. Keep him warm and fed if he's eating and take him in.
Vitamin b complex or thiamine is good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone have links where I can order some? He’s improving a little, but head is still floppy, but he kicks around as though we wants to get up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts