The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda new to this group and not a goat expert, but I've been raising them for 13 yrs now. I know someone who just lost their two goats recently and they were only 11 months old. They died because the owners didn't know how to take care of them nor did they seek advice. They were just put out in the yard to eat grass with no wining or minerals and grain, nothing!!!!
I'm shocked reading emergancy all the time and mostly it is due to the owners carelessness or unwillingness to learn. I put 100% into everything I do, I would never have started raising goats without learning everything I possibly can first. I'm not writing this to offend anyone, I lost one of my old wethers thus August to old age...... I couldn't imagine not taking care of my animals the way they deserve. Most of the time it's not all that difficult and realize if with the best care things still happen. But if you educate yourself enough take good care of them they will usually thrive. To see so many problems with worms is troubling. Good clean housing proper nutrition and really observing them can go a long way.i only have a few goats as pets but the last 2 1/2 years I had to do nothing as far as worming besides having decals done. I recently felt u needed to worn because I brought a new goat home so to protect her and my others I did what was needed. I apologize I'm just venting I've seen to many goats die because people assume there goats they are hardy and can eat anything they are givin.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You might not have many problems with worms, but a lot of us do. You can't stop worms, every single goat has at least a couple eggs. I have 13 goats and clean stalls at least once a week and they are on really fresh clean land in my 5 acres and they still get worms. Its completely unavoidable in my opinion. I feel as if we are here to help and not judge people because of their inexperience. I consider them responsible for reaching out to get help and expert opinions on the health of their goats.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
So had you rather people come here to learn or just keep doing things the way they are doing them? I can say that as someone who raised animals of all types all her life, goats have been a challenge for me. I was warned when I got my ferrets about how many health problems they have so I researched that and felt ready. I have never had a problem with my ferrets. I bought goats and everyone seems to think they are hardy and maybe most of the time they are, but I ended up battling cocci right off the bat. I did the right things, asked for help, got a fecal done, used the correct meds at the correct doses and STILL lost two of my boys. I can promise you nothing will ever take the memory of me lowering their tiny little bodies into the grave I dug for them out of my head. I don't think casting judgment really helps anything or any goat in the long run.

·
14,615 Posts
I would be upset too, if someone just threw their goats out in the yard with no hay or minerals.
Chopsgoats is venting mainly about this. I'd probably add a reminder to learn more as well & to ask questions.

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
There are so many factors involved. This has been a really bad year for worms.

It is really bad when someone doesn't bother to properly care for their goats.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Sometimes things happen whether we mean for them to or not. Like worms, those are one of the things that are beyond a persons control. If there's a lot in the environment then you can only do the best you can.

I kind of understand where your coming from.. Yea it's not right that some people may get animals without properly researching things beforehand. Or that people make incorrect assumptions and the animal pays the price. But, it not my job to judge people on here that come with a problem. I make my own mistakes and have had my own goat issues. As it says in the bible, "He without sin may cast the first stone".

I can understand why you are upset though and I absolutely respect your thoughts

·
Registered
637 Posts
what did Chopsgoats mean by no wining?
My daughters friends have a pair of wethers they have been out for a year now no hay but they have alot of brush and pine, and a goat block, they dont seem interested in any feedback .... they say they are doing fine....

·
1,524 Posts
There is still tons of old wives tales and theories about rasing goats that are taken for gospel out there. People still follow that way of doing things and you will never change their mind because that is how there were raised, how great grampy did it for his entire life etc. Some people just refuse to come into the new world of livestock.

You can't fix stupid.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I understand where you are coming from but everyone learns in a different way. It is a shame that the two 11 month old babies died, I will say that most everyone here is here because they want to learn more, they are asking for help.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm only venting at a certain percentage that apoarently does not care enough and not necessarily on this group. Like I said I've seen to many die and I posted on here about one that was abandoned at a park. I joined the group for advice and to learn what I have not yet seen. I guess it's different when I've had a few for 13 yrs and a closed little herd. No new additions until a couple of weeks ago I bought a new doe and asked questions to be on the right path.I'm grateful for groups like this that can educate. Only wish that the majority would think before they just pick up some goats to okay with.i do like many of you spend countless time with my animals. I posted about my loss also he was 13 and died in minutes. Like i said I did not want to offend anyone

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've also made mistakes and learned from them. I had a wether that was about a year and half old that couldn't pee.. I was giving him purina goat chow and he got UC . I put my hand under him and blood was trickling out, but I read and learned and asked enough to know what was going on. The vet told me to cut the tip of his penis off and see. That worked and he is turning 14 in January. The advice from groups like this is not to be taken lightly. Now I'm going to take my little doe for a hike before it gets dark. If they are your pets Just take care of them and love them

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Wormload can also depend on where you live. Here in NJ, worms can be a bit of a nightmare when it's been mild and humid. There is never an excuse to knowingly neglect animals, and one should always educate oneself before jumping into things, but most of the time the people who post on here truly want to do the right thing, and have never been told to do otherwise. As such I'm proud they are on here, trying to do what's right for their goats. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I'm only venting at a certain percentage that apoarently does not care enough and not necessarily on this group. Like I said I've seen to many die
I understand completely. I've posted on here before about some of this and kinda got the same reaction you did. Drives me nuts when people don't try to learn or there's only ONE way to do it...period. What works for me, might not work for you. Or....you might have one instance when nothing else has worked and you remember one simple thing from someone that works. My pet peeve is the "we just can't afford to take them to a vet"....welll....sometimes you have to take animals to the vet...better have that planned into your budget. I'm not a fanatic about worming either. I only worm my animals when they look like they need it. Not that that is the right way to do it, it's just my way. I've never had a fecal done. And I don't do full panel blood checks on any animal either...not saying I wouldn't if it was indicated....just that I don't do it when I get an animal in or have a sick one. ANY of my animals....horses, dogs, goats, etc. That is how I....me...operates on my farm. Again...not saying it is the right way, just the way I do it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I feel that Worming to much or when not needed tends to make the worms more tolerant of the workers available today. I wish I had all the answers, I've been doing what works for me. Before I brought home a new doe I had my goats checked at my vets office(one by one the three of them) checked for everything and one of them my very old wether I had blood work done. Just a piece of mind for me knowing I'm bringing home a new animal and everyone was healthy.this was the first time in three years they saw the vet. I'm very close to my vet I have known her a long time and she had taoght me so much.im not saying we should let the animals go without any meds but I feel worm just to worm is causing more problems. I'm curios if there have been any studies on this subject.
Sometimes I think it's just like this generation of kids getting so many meds all the time. I only went to the doc when I had to as a child and it was very rare to have any medicine.just my thoughts

·
14,615 Posts
Worming when not needed & under dosing certainly IS a cause for resistance.
I have only had two fecals done over the years. Then again they aren't trying to munch on short growth either and all hay is off the ground.
One case of suspected M worm.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I believe there have been studies done. Worming too much CAN cause resistance, just like over medicating causes resistance. If you live in an area that has a worm problem...then worm. If you don't....then don't worm just because "everyone" thinks you should. I know people that worm or give antibiotics at the sign of ANYTHING....eventually those meds are not going to work and then what are you going to do? I've heard the "it can't hurt" reasoning, but it can hurt. JMO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts