The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
You could always scrub up, glove up, and take a quick feel inside. There could be a kid stuck, and stalling labor. Or maybe she's just taking her sweet time. Was she pushing hard, or were they little pushes? Is she active and alert, or does she seem in distress?

Hi everyone!

she started having contractions around 8 this morning, but we’ve literally been sitting out in the pasture all day and seen nothing new and it’s almost 6 pm now. Is this normal? How long dose ‘pre-labor’ last for? I’m sure they were contractions earlier, but she hasn’t had any for awhile. She’s been getting up and down all day & has more prominent hips, so things are moving along. Just very slowly and I don’t know if I should be concerned.
Contractions can start early in the day, and keep on going for a few days...but pushing is a real sign of labour. If she is not pushing, or dilated yet, then she is not ready to have those kids. I suggest you just keep an eye on her, and make sure that when she does start pushing everything is fine. I’m sure she will do fine! Beautiful doe, btw!

Discussion starter · #34 ·
I’m back for some more advice of course. I’ve noticed a few things that are concerning to me with the doe and her kids. Not sure if it’s best to add to this thread or start a new one...

First off, the doe’s temperament has changed. Before she kidded she was super sweet and very friendly and food motivated. Since she’s kidded she’s become shy, verging on the edge of skiddish. She doesn’t want to come out of the barn, and if the babies come out, she will herd them back in. This is new behavior for us, other doe’s were not this anxious after kidding. Any one experienced this before? Any tips? Fingers crossed she goes back to her old sweet people loving self!

She’s also not very interested in food. She barely comes out to graze and doesn’t eat much of the hay, alfalfa pellets or even grain I put down in the barn. Her sides by her hips are hollow and have been since she kidded 5 days ago. I am unsure if this is just because I’m used to seeing her with a belly full of kids, or if she is not ruminating due to not eating much so her sides are sucked in instead of pushed out like a normal goat. You can kind of see in the picture below, I can post a better picture tomorrow if needed.

Also the doe and the kids are itchy, especially around the eyes & ears. Eyes are are runny with alittle bit of clear goop. I am fairly positive it’s not lice. The doe had lice 2 months ago that we cleared up with cylen pour on. I checked the doe and kids today pretty throughly and didn’t see any. I’ve been sprinkling DE if the barn every time I muck it out so I’m wondering if that’s what they could be reacting too? Or possibly allergies? Is there any thing I can do for this?

I am so thankful for this community! And I’m sure my vet is too, so she doesn’t have to always deal with my constant questions 😂

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.