American or Purebred?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Amos, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    What is the difference in Purebred Nubians and American Nubians? Does American just mean that there was once a different breed in the genes thats died out, or what? I know what Purebred is obviously, but I am going to purchase 1 -2 'American' Nubians, and 1-2 Purebreds, so I was just curious as to what I'll be getting into. :hammer:

2. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    American just means at one point in the pedigree there was either an outside influence or lost paperwork that resulted in a recorded grade being the offspring - after breeding back with registered animals the offspring resulted in American status.

I can't tell you necessarily what it means for the animals you're looking at - Americans in so many cases can be just as nice if not the same as Purebreds - it's just going to depend what happened to change the status from Purebred to RG to American in the goats past - I've got both out here and see things I love in both - as far as milk production and confirmation - there are no changes - there's a few changes in the length on two of my does, one being a bit taller and longer - but it's her outside influence of an Alpine that I believe adds it - but you really can't even count these differences because you can see the same differences in two purebred herds - it's what the herd breeds for to their liking that results in how their herd is looking (so like wider and shorter with length, some like taller animals that are a bit leaner)....

So in the long run - you may not see a bit of difference and in all reality, it may mean absolutely difference for your herd - it just means (again) there was lost paperwork or an outside breed influence in your herd....

3. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota