The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feed a mix of hay and 17% goat feed (includes Ammonium Chloride in ingredients) to my male goats.

I am wondering if I can pick up Ammonium Chloride by the jar and place the proper amount in their water and feed more hay - especially during winter.

Woudl this work?

Can their Ammonium Chloride intake be water soluable instead of in feed and still get same wellness benefit?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am not sure if it it is water soluble, but it does have a horrid taste that may make the water unappetizing to them which may cause them to drink less, thus increasing the chance of stones forming. Ammonium Chloride is usually given at 1/4tsp per 50lbs body weight per day. The amount in feeds or minerals that already contain it is not enough. I mix it into my wethers' feed each day at the dose above with a little agave nectar (honey or corn syrup work well too) to make it stick and cover the taste.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to find a cost effective alternate to the bagged goat feed that is still good for my 4 male goats without risk of the calculi forming.

Maybe if I put it in Molassas - gave a squirt daily in water or something - I dont know.

4 male goats - 2 are wethers, 2 intact, are hurting my budget with their feed costs.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I just mix 1/4 teaspoon in their grain morning and night. At first, they will try to eat around it, but after a period, they just eat all their grain like normal.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I'm trying to find a cost effective alternate to the bagged goat feed that is still good for my 4 male goats without risk of the calculi forming.

Maybe if I put it in Molassas - gave a squirt daily in water or something - I dont know.

4 male goats - 2 are wethers, 2 intact, are hurting my budget with their feed costs.

Any suggestions?
Unless they are growing or breeding, stop feeding grain and that will reduce your feed costs. Mature wethers don't need anything other than good quality grass hay. Bucks that are not breeding/going into breeding don't need anything other than good quality grass hay.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I just get the manna pro lose minerals that has the ammonium chloride in it, I haven't has a problem yet... I do feed grain to everyone though, wethers, bucks, kids, does milking or bred. Kids and does get more then the rest though, and in the spring/summer months when it's nice out, they only get it once a day unless you are a kid, or doe in milk or preggo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts