The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to give my buck and 1 wethers a dose of Ammonium Cloride , a drench about every 6 weeks. I do 2 drenched a week apart. Do you think this if ok or should I do more or less. So far I’m having no problems doing this. I use bath tub water troughs do adding to water is out. I use a 50ml drench gun and give 2 tablespoons mixed in gun at 25ml to each one, then a week later repeat.

·
TKC Farms
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is so fine that topping it over feed i find it in the bottom of trough and they will not eat it. i have just got them to eat the timothy hay pellets with out the oats. that is why i drench was drenching it.

·
274 Posts
I give it to my buck every week on Sunday. About 1 tsp top dressed on his grain. I do put a very little shredded dry alfalfa soaked in warm/hot water. I drain the water off and add it to the grain/AC mixture. Mix it up real good and he eats it right up! He only gets about 1/2 cup grain with it in the evening. Done this for 8 years with no issues. :) I've also done this with wethers very successfully.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
it is so fine that topping it over feed i find it in the bottom of trough and they will not eat it. i have just got them to eat the timothy hay pellets with out the oats. that is why i drench was drenching it.
Drenching is fine, but AC should be given 3 days on 4 days off. I don't think you'd like to drench every 4 days. You can mix AC with anything - applesauce, honey on grain, yogurt, find something they like.

·
TKC Farms
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drenching is fine, but AC should be given 3 days on 4 days off. I don't think you'd like to drench every 4 days. You can mix AC with anything - applesauce, honey on grain, yogurt, find something they like.
How much would you give a 75-80 goat and a 175 pound goat?

·
TKC Farms
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I give it to my buck every week on Sunday. About 1 tsp top dressed on his grain. I do put a very little shredded dry alfalfa soaked in warm/hot water. I drain the water off and add it to the grain/AC mixture. Mix it up real good and he eats it right up! He only gets about 1/2 cup grain with it in the evening. Done this for 8 years with no issues. :) I've also done this with wethers very successfully.
Thanks

Reactions: rgdlljames

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ammonium chloride is a waste of money. It attempts to acidify the urine, which it does the first time it’s used. However, the kidneys adjust to it and stop acidifying the urine. The best way to minimize stones in a buck is to minimize grain feedings. Sorry, I do human medicine for a living, but was discussing goat physiology with the vet. What we discussed made complete sense to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone! I am new at keeping hosts. I keep Nigerian dwarfs and they make great pets. But, I have a question: why give ammonium Chloride to goats, males, and the term drenching? Medical purpose? Thank you.

·
274 Posts
Ammonium chloride is a waste of money. It attempts to acidify the urine, which it does the first time it's used. However, the kidneys adjust to it and stop acidifying the urine. The best way to minimize stones in a buck is to minimize grain feedings. Sorry, I do human medicine for a living, but was discussing goat physiology with the vet. What we discussed made complete sense to me.
I respect what you are saying but in my experience with my almost 14 year old Nigerian Dwarf buck has worked. For the past 3 years he has gotten 2 to 3 cups of grain in the morning and the same in the evening. All mixed with dried alfalfa soaked in warm water. He has virtually no teeth and that is why we feed him this way - he can't eat hay anymore. He is so healthy and happy. I keep a very close eye on him and when he gives me a sign we will put him down humanely. But for now what I am keeping him alive and healthy! He does get 1 tsp of AC on Sundays. He is very spoiled and loved! Here are a couple of pics of him. My camera is broken so the pics aren't great.
IMG_20201024_092635332_2.jpg
unnamed.jpg

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
I would never know that goat is 14! Wow!

As someone who has researched the topic extensively and done studies - @Rkwday you are correct, it can begin to lose its efficacy. This is why it is not recommended for daily use. However, studies have shown that it maintains its acidifying effect when given in pulse doses, 1-3 times weekly.

I want to note that ammonium chloride is really only for phosphorus caused stones. These stones are dissolved by acidity. Calcium caused stones are not, they are purely diet related. They require other things like acetic/phosphoric acids, citrates, and magnesium to dissolve.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I respect what you are saying but in my experience with my almost 14 year old Nigerian Dwarf buck has worked. For the past 3 years he has gotten 2 to 3 cups of grain in the morning and the same in the evening. All mixed with dried alfalfa soaked in warm water. He has virtually no teeth and that is why we feed him this way - he can't eat hay anymore. He is so healthy and happy. I keep a very close eye on him and when he gives me a sign we will put him down humanely. But for now what I am keeping him alive and healthy! He does get 1 tsp of AC on Sundays. He is very spoiled and loved! Here are a couple of pics of him. My camera is broken so the pics aren't great. View attachment 192871 View attachment 192873
Hi, how wonderful is your boy, great age, I am a new goat mummy of two months, only got two nearly 7 months pygmys, one doeling one wether.
I keep reading up and given info from lots of people, which gets confusing.
This forum ha been so hopefully, so thanks to you all.
I've been told to increase my wether Pygmy goat mix, as he is bit thin, fecal result no problems, it does not have a lot of grain, I was worried too much grain was bad for kids, anyway one question, as you obviously know how to care for goats.
I was thinking of giving goat mix with carrots, apple banana few pumpkin seeds and bit lettuce celery and parsnip, not always all at once though, read last three things are good then read not good.
They have hay available 24/7
Just got red rocky lick, for copper, already got pink Himalayan.
Iam I doing things right ? I do fret, had equine in the past, but goats seem harder on feed, but they re adorable.
My doe is bit on fat side, so challenging feeding them separate, Iam in UK.
Take care and thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts

As someone who has researched the topic extensively and done studies - @Rkwday you are correct, it can begin to lose its efficacy. This is why it is not recommended for daily use. However, studies have shown that it maintains its acidifying effect when given in pulse doses, 1-3 times weekly.

I want to note that ammonium chloride is really only for phosphorus caused stones. These stones are dissolved by acidity. Calcium caused stones are not, they are purely diet related. They require other things like acetic/phosphoric acids, citrates, and magnesium to dissolve.
Hi,
I have two 6 month old Pygmys, one doe one wether, been told to put him on a ram and lamb mix, which has ammonium chloride in it, to help prevent UC urinary cauli, would you think I should keep kids on Pygmy got mix which has minerals, veg and fruit in, not high in grain, only been goat mummy for 2 months, finding goats hard to care for, as I do fret. Iam in UK

·
Registered
1 Posts

** are you referring to the AC in pulse doses or Ammonium chloride? Thank you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts