An Inquiring Mind Wants to Know

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Itchysmom, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    How do you take that step to turn your goats out?

This is my situation....I have three goats. One doe, who is 11/2 yrs old and her whether, who is 4 mos and a doeling who is 4 mos old. Doe (Sasha) is just getting used to me. She will sort of walk on a lead...once you catch her! The doeling (Bella) will walk on a lead. The whether will not. I would like to turn them out into the yard to graze, but I am nervous about it. I do not want to have them jumping the fence into the neighbors yard or get out to the street. if they all get loose, how will I ever get them back?

Now, they love thier grain treat in the evenings and I figured that grain is a great incentive to come back to the pen. IF I can get a lead on Sasha, then the babies will follow her. I could stake Sasha out, keeping an eye on her while she is staked out. I thot I would use a lunge line to begin with as I do not have a chain.

Any ideas or suggestions? My yard is fenced, but the fence is low enough to where they could jump it if they really wanted to.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would bet they would be fine. Once they are out eating and enjoying the food, they are not going to jump out unless something scares them (I hope). My goats go up to the barn every night.
    Every time you go out, give them some sort of treat. I give horse treats that are smaller, I give shredded wheat cereal, Sunflower seeds, animal cookies. Just something, so every time you go out they will come to see mom and see what kind of treat you have for them.

If they have not been out on the grass before, only let them out for about a hour a day and slowly increase it so they do not get sick and bloat.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    at feeding time do you have a specific feeding container? I have learned that if you shake it when feeding then they associate the sound with the feeding. So if you need them to all come running just shake your container and the grain makes noise and they come running for the grain - be sure to give them some to reward them for coming. :)

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.... with the others............my goats now.... all I have to do is.... yell ......"Come on Girls" ~! even when... they are across the field...this is without shaking the grain bucket..... it has now peaked past that... to the point that.... if they see me...they come running.... it is hard to sneak out.... I am being watched.... LOL :thumb:

5. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Thank you all!

I guess I am just nervous. Like what would I do if they went over the fence and ran away! I do tend to over think things alot! :)

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome..... :thumb:

It is OK to be nervous sometimes we all do it...... :wink: :hug:

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I agree with the others. Also, keep their water trough filled in or near their pen so they will come back when they are thirsty. Goats tend to be very uncomfortable when they stray far from their pen and will come back pretty quickly if startled. When you want them to come back just shake a bucket of grain.

8. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    I let my goats out and they have over 20 acres to play with. They never go far they like to be able to see the house. I have a big blue plastic scoop that I use for grain and if I shake it they come running. I have also trained them that they get a treat when I ring our cast iron school bell They come running. When it gets dark they are always back.
    Suellen

9. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I started by shaking a bell every time I fed them. Then I started jingling the bell and only feeding them when they came running to me. Then I took them out with my queen on a longe line to see how well they followed the bell and they did great.

Now I can let them loose and if they wander off too far I ring the bell and they come running. I was pretty scared to have them loose at first.

10. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Great suggestions...thanks!

They know when I have thier grain, so rattling the scope is no problem I was thinking about training them to come when I ring the triangle...but that wuill have to wait til we move. I doubt my neighbor would appreciate me ringing it here!

Where they used to live, I noticed that they never strayed far from the barn. Guess i will just have to do it one day soon and see what happens!

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My guys will not get out of site of their barn and I have never had one try and jump their fence, which one area has a low fence.....I also do the grain in a dish shaking....they come running! The only thing I worry about is them getting into the flowerbeds and eating something they shouldn't. If I am outside with them they will not go but a few feet from me.

12. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I really don't care what they eat in my yard...I just don't want them to eat my neighbors flowers through the fence! Would not make her a happy camper! I will definitely have to sit out there with them!

13. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yep, I agree with everyone--once they know where home is they won't go far. They will probably go back in their pen on their own after a couple hours of browsing to lay down and chew cud. That's what mine usually do! :)

14. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We started turning our goats out of the pen over a month ago. No problems at all. We have boers. 5 does, 2 bucks, and 3 goat kids. We either let them out into our back yard - one exit that is not fenced in me, hubby or the kids watch so they don't get out.
    If we let them into the front yard, they pretty much know now where to go, and will go there or we'll herd them over there. The front is fenced, but we don't have a gate or fencing on the other side of the drive <just a tree/brush line>. We have 2 that we know to watch because they like to try and sneak over to the treeline <LOL>, so we make sure we herd them back over into the yard <large front yard>.
    They are soooo rotten, they all line up at the gate about 6pm every evening waiting to be let out LOL

Oh, and I use an ice cream bucket to carry grain out to the pen. When it's time to come in, it's also feeding time, so I fill it up, shake it, and we race for the pen, it's hilarious watching the herd come running after me LOL
    They are very smart, and I know with the goats we have, they fall into routine very easily.

I'd just watch them and see what they do, maybe have someone else out there with you and if they attempt to climb or jump a fence you can have a squirt bottle or small bucket of water, first time they attempt shoo them away, second and all other attempts use the water. I have a doe that if she sees me coming with a small white bucket, she knows she's doing something naughty LOL

Good Luck and have fun! We LOVE sitting out in the yard watching the goats. And right now they are LOVING the front because the grass is really high right now. We were going to cut it, but why ruin it for them?

15. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I didn't think about water! That is a good idea. I will have the hose running when I turn them out! Thanks!

16. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    One thing they can't stand is water LOL Early on we had a problem with one of our does jumping into the garden <we had the garden in the goat pen - with 4ft of chicken wire around it -been there for 3 years>, the only time she'd jump in is if we were in there though, so we'd keep a bucket of water, and she caught on real quick! And while I spray or splash her I'd tell her firmly 'NO!"
    It's funny now, because when we do let them out and don't want them in a certain spot, if I tell her 'NO!" she'll stop and look at me! Of course she might go on after that, but at least she remembers that 'NO" means something is up LOL
    BTW, her name is Trouble....LOL

17. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Well, I took the step and turned to goats out his evening. Talk about nervious...me not the goats. of course the doe and her whether went straight to the choke cherry tree! I am going to have to cut the lower branches before I turn them out again.

I think I will have to have hubby out there with me next time. I was just too nervous. After turning the sheep out ( who were calm and easy), the goats were so much more active!