An interesting perspective on conformation....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goathappy, Dec 26, 2010.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I was looking at a breeder's website and I found these pictures that she posted of the skeleton of a doe, who although was a permanent CH and a Top Ten doe, did not have the best conformation:

http://www.timbercovelm.com/funpics.htm

I always knew that conformation was important for health, comfort and longevity, but to actually see a skeleton really puts it into perspective. A goat may be this, this and this, and get these or those awards, but it doesn't mean anything if they can't hold up their entire life!

Food for thought ;)

2. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

You are awesome Sarah!!!! :thumb: So glad you found this because it is seriously the most interesting article of the year! I am saving this to my computer and printing it.
    Wow. It was just an eye opener.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    very interesting thanks... :thumb:

4. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    That is VERY cool.. thank you!

5. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    WOW! That is so amazing!! Very very cool!! I've attended the clinic put on by (now) NWODGA for a few years now...it's amazing!! SO educational! And Dr. Laura Acton is SO intelligent & informative. She does a great job at the clinic.
    Just an FYI, we (the NWODGA) are scheduling the goat clinic for Feb. 2011 - I will be keeping you all posted of the date & topics as their confirmed. :)
    Oh it's held at the Community College in Oregon City...I'll get a specific address for you'all too.

Thank you so much for putting this link up...and I very much appreciate the info that this breeder has available! Very educational!

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You're very welcome :)

I'm so jealous of all the dairy goat activities and all the awesome breeders on the west coast, I really wish we had more things like that in the midwest.

7. Oh man! PLEASE keep us posted I am not far at all and would LOVE to go!!

And yes VERY cool article!

8. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Will post (in a new post) info that I can update as we nail down topics & dates.

:cool: