Anatolian Shepherd Breeders

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by agilitymaster01, Nov 11, 2014.

1. agilitymaster01

agilitymaster01 Rose Creek Acres

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    I am looking for a couple of working guardians for our goaty girls. I would really like a couple of Anatolians, but I am having a hard time finding a breeder around us. I am in SE MN. Any have any suggestions, or could point me in the right direction? They have to be raised with goats (livestock) Great Pyrenees would be ok, but we have a lot of burdock around us. They have a lot of hair... ;) Thanks a bunch!! :thumbup:

2. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    I am going to guess that no one knows anything. Well. Thanks anyway guys. I will keep dreaming. ;)

3. LadySecret

LadySecret Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Western Oklahoma
    Try craigslist. You can usually find pups from working parents on there. They won't be papered but they won't cost $500 either. I tried to find a reputable breeder for anatolians in my state and couldn't find one either. Looked on craigslist and had my 15/16 Anatolian and 1/16 akabash pups a week later. Just make sure that you get a good look at the parents and only buy pups that are being raised with the stock you want them to guard. I also wouldn't get a pup that is a mix of any breed other than the guarding breeds.

If this will be your first LGD, I'd ask the breeder to help pick out your pup. You want to avoid the most aggressive/dominate pup and the most submissive/docile pup. Both can lead to their own set of problems if your not experienced with training LGDs.

If your set on buying from a reputable breeder that does hip and elbow testing, you can do a google search for Anatolian breeders in your state. If none in your state, try neighboring states. I know there is a really good breeder in New Mexico but I don't remember the name.

4. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Ok. Thanks. I have tried looking on Craigslist, and in neighboring states. Sigh. My dream is that I find a good breeder, that happens to raise/show boers, and is coming to the ABGA national show and willing to bring a puppy for me...Oh, to dream...;)

5. LadySecret

Apr 20, 2013
    Western Oklahoma
    You can look up breeders at Anatolian Shepard club of America. They have a breeders list with 3 in Ohio. If you can't find one on CL, it looks like your going to have to drive a long way to get one. You'll probably have to put a deposit down and wait for a litter. It would probably be much easier to find a Great Pyrenees pup in your area. You can always shear them in summer.

6. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Ya. I have heard about Great Pyrenees wondering off, or not doing their job as well as Anatolian. Maybe it is just someone who had a "bad dog"?

7. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    Does Salad Fork Ranch in New Mexico sound right? That is the only breeder I see there.

8. LadySecret

Apr 20, 2013
    Western Oklahoma

Yes. Salad Forks been raising anatolians for a long time. They're really good. I was going to get a pup from them until I found one a lot closer on CL. They do the hip dysphasia testing on all their breeding stock and they'd be able to pick the right pup for you and your situation.

I've never had a Pyrenees but I do know a lot of people that do and for the most part they are pleased with them. All LGDs will need some training and it takes about a year before everything just clicks for them and they get it. Spaying and neutering helps to reduce roaming if that's a concern for you.

9. LadySecret

Apr 20, 2013
    Western Oklahoma

My main reason for choosing an Anatolian over a Pyrenees was 1) I didn't want to have to shear a giant dogs coat ever summer. 2) anatolians have a longer life expectancy than other giant breeds (if they don't loose their life protecting their flock or get hit by a vehicle, you can expect your Anatolian to live to be 13 years old). That's really old for a giant breed. 3) because of the way they have been bred for hundreds of years they have very few health concerns. Hip dysplasia in anatolians is usually the result of improper diet as a pup than a genetic defect. But the really serious breeders test their stock anyway.

But if I couldn't find an anatolian or I couldn't afford to travel to get one, I would have gotten a Pyrenees. My neighbor uses one to guard about a dozen Yorkies. They all run loose in the country and she's never lost one. So I'd say they can guard just fine!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  10. takethelead

takethelead New Member

Dec 17, 2013
    North West georgia
    I'm partial to Pyrenees. They are great with my animals and don't tend to wander off like I've heard even though they can clear my fences. I don't shave mine in the summer. Even with all that hair it helps them stay cool. I'm in Georgia so our summers are pretty hot and mine never need it. Each dog is different so don't let a horror story detour you from a breed. I would love to have an Anatolian but they are not as common to come across. If you find a good breeder of Pyrenees you will find most test for hip dysplasia . I've heard great things about Pyrenees and Anatolian crosses. Its also best to get them in pairs. Or at least that's what I have been told by the breeder we get ours from.

11. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    I have been in contact with The Salad Fork Ranch, and they have a litter due in Dec., and one in Jan. I think I might go with her. We will see. If Anatolian's lead me to a dead end, I will go GP for sure. Thanks for all the help. :)

12. LadySecret

Apr 20, 2013
    Western Oklahoma

That's great! You'll have to let us know when you get your new pup.

13. agilitymaster01

Sep 25, 2013
    La Crescent, MN
    I will...don't worry. I cannot wait now. :)