The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Order some Ammonium Chloride and it arrived last Thursday. I have been wondering how I was going to "trick" Legion into eating it as there are a number of threads asking for suggestions on just this topic. But Legion hates treats of any kind. And I mean ANY. No drinks either. He goes nuts for grain though. So today I figured Id just sprinkle a half a table spoon on a small scoop of grain and see what happened. (doing the half table spoon twice a day).

Well it wasnt surprising he chowed down on his grain. Whats udderly (< lol) surprising is, that he got to the buttom of the lip pan where most of the Ammonium chloride had fallen and ate it with the same gusto and then proceeded to lick the pan! He never licks the pan!

Anyone else's goats like the taste of it? I am half tempted to taste it myself as I usually do with just about anything the goats get but I dont know if I wanna try this stuff... Ivormectin, is freaking NASTY by they way. So when your goat spits it out, its more then understandable :)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
heh. After taste testing the Ivermectin (I needed to know why they hated it so) I haven't tasted anything else. I wonder if I can get once of my kids to taste the Ammonium Chloride.

Our one whether always licks his bowl but he's also picky and hates BOSS but doesn't seem to have any issue with AC

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have a wether that loves his worm med I give him a dose then he chases me around for more lol wish they'd all do that

·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a wether that loves his worm med I give him a dose then he chases me around for more lol wish they'd all do that
Id bet thats a white wormer. Apply flavored by chance? :)

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
My one doe LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEESSSS Red Cell. She sucks it down. She's wait for the syrings, then and starts chewing on it so I will squirt it in her mouth.

·
14,615 Posts
Too funny TDG!
At the sight of a syringe most will disappear but one old gal when I gave her the whisky coffee molasses mix after kidding would suck it down & not let go of the syringe.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
My doe peeps will eat or drink anything, no matter how nasty it is! She is a weird one for sure, all my others want nothing to do with the drench gun, the syringe, or anything I have in my hand when I walk in the pen.

The ivermectin injectable is pretty bad tasting, the ivermectin paste isnt that bad though. The wormer I hate the most is zimecterin gold, it has a tingling and burning sensation in your mouth, but it works well.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Today all the goats were out grazing and I walked over to the enclosure to check on how much free-choice minerals were left. As I exited the shelter I heard a stampede of goats. I had nothing in my hands and had not said the magic words "Go Home" but they assumed I must have had something yummy for them to eat.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
this is a little off topic, but when I was a small child, I remember that my cousin would ALWAYS chew her pills. any kind of pills too, vitamins, pain meds, etc. so nasty!

·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I went ahead and took a taste of the ammonium chloride and fully understand why Legion likes it. Granted I dont but it tastes like baking soda mixed with salt or maybe citric acid. But not to bad at all considering its ammonium chloride :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
OK I am going to do a taste test of a few goat things tomorrow if I am not feeling sick anymore. The things we do... The things we do......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts