The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
They look wide!

You may want to increase Lilly's feed intake. She looks pretty underweight. I'd want to get her weight up before the kids arrive so she's producing plenty of milk for them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They look wide!

You may want to increase Lilly's feed intake. She looks pretty underweight. I'd want to get her weight up before the kids arrive so she's producing plenty of milk for them.
I have never had any problems with any of my girls milk supply. All my goats have access to as much feed as they want 24/7 plus extra supplement when they are pregnant.

ForumRunner_20130815_100058.jpg
This

ForumRunner_20130815_100215.jpg

And this

ForumRunner_20130815_100353.jpg

Makes this. We have 4 acres of crop for 14 goats. Plus i mix my own grains and fresh fruit & veg at least twice a week. What else do you suggest. ?

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
a foot rub and a back scratch :)

sorry, couldn't help myself...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! 25 kids! Must have been a ball to watch LOL.....

How long has it been since you dewormed Lilly? Maybe she has a bit of a load? She does look some underweight, and with all that food, she shouldn't! :)

Nice goats!
They were all wormed just before they got pregnant. Is it ok to worm them again now?

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
Yes you can worm them now but you should really only worm as needed.

I would take a fecal sample in to the vet and have them test for worms and coccidia.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Johne's disease might be something to look into as well if her fecals come back clean for worms/cocci. Unless she's an old doe that has a hard time keeping weight on, she should be more filled in. The other doe looks fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Johne's disease might be something to look into as well if her fecals come back clean for worms/cocci. Unless she's an old doe that has a hard time keeping weight on, she should be more filled in. The other doe looks fine.
When i passed all this info to my hubby his immediate reply was she is old (7yrs) & has never been meaty. Lilly was the size of a coke can when i brought her home. The other doe is full blood pedigree Boer goat & only 3yrs old & 2nd time bred only.
Could that, be the reason?

·
Hopelessly Addicted
2,055 Posts
It could be age, but 7 isn't super old. I don't consider mine truly old until 9. Some does do have a harder time holding weight. I have one like that even though she has a TON of feed. I separate her at grain time and add rice bran to her grain. Very fatty and it helps. All mine get BOSS mixed in their grain too. I've noticed also that no matter if I add to her grain or not she always holds weight better when she gets to ear her grain alone but she is the bottom of the totem pole.... also if you do worm make sure you use preggo safe wormer...for instance, valbazen is great but not for preggers girls. And for me personally I only worm at breeding and after kidding because more than twice a year seems like it will just help build resistance. If I feel wormer might be needed other times I just do a fecal to decide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts