Anderson Ranch waiting

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by AndersonRanch, Oct 25, 2020.

1. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

(rofl)(rofl)(rofl):heehee:
    That would be so effective with goats!

2. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    I keep telling him kune kune are not your normal pigs but he’s not buying it. The last ones got to be such a pain in the butt though. They peeled all the siding off my shed, attacked the dogs for their food and would go in the way when we would gather cows. They wouldn’t have caused this many issues if I could have kept them contained! Dang pigs lol
    Dakota is so stinking adorable, but in a air head kinda way. It is so funny to see just how different she is from her mom. All the boys mom raised were just a nuts as she was.
    Lol yes madhouse it works very well. But she is never a bully about it. As long as they nicely eat by her she has no issues with them and leaves them alone. The only down side that I have not been able to figure out is she loves to stand in the water troughs :/ I even bought her a kiddie pool just for her but she would rather the troughs. So I just use the empty protein tubs and have about 10 of them out there so I can dump the one she picked to get dirty that day. At least I have a very healthy oak tree from watering it every day lol

3. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Aww how funny. My Roam pony..I swear she is ADHD..love her. But everyone is coming in for feed..I have to keep calling her....to remind her to.come on. Then I rattle the bucket...and she says...Oh Ok.! Here she comes...till she sees something..like a bag in a tree...leaves floating by...anything that moves...lol lol .But she is a happy girl always chipper. Lol lol

4. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Yes that is Dakota to a T as well! And there is no herding her anyplace, she has to follow but of course she gets side tracked. When we got them all in for shots she did that and I told the kids just leave her I don’t have time for her. She showed up for her shots but it was on her time lol hopefully her little brain wakes up when she has kids lol

5. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I laugh all the time at My Roan Pony. She holds her tail.up..and a few white hairs wave as she trots off(rofl)(rofl). Then she stops...checks out a bird...stone..leaf...and regroups...hold her tail up, and waves as she trots off another 50 ft...(rofl):shrug:(rofl)

AndersonRanch and MadHouse like this.
  6. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Lol well at least the ditzy ones make us laugh at least. It’s gotta be better then the crazy one that freak over the little things :p

7. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    The cursed year of 2020 strikes again! I was unsure of 6 does so finally had a minute and ultrasounded them. All open. Soooo either Sonny was too young and dumb to get the job done or he’s no good. Maybe the girls didn’t like him and beat him up too. I don’t know but I’m pretty depressed. All the girls that are open we’re either his or they were Snots which I had to take out after 3 weeks because he wouldn’t stay in his pen and I waited 2 weeks and put sonny in with them figuring there would only be a few to cover. In my defense there was only a few.
    Sooooo I will have a even smaller kidding season of only 18 girls. I have all the open girls next to the buck pens now and as they come into heat I’ll get them bred. I will be kidding all year long but better then waiting another year.
    Jasmine was in heat 2 weeks ago and I put her back in with sonny. If she comes back into heat I might just cut my losses and sell him. There is no place around here to test him and see if he is any good.
    But in 2 days I start my baby watch! I’m down to only 500 things to get done before I’m ready lol but I’m getting there. Last night I just realized I have no ear tags lol so got them ordered. I’m sure they will come when I have 20 kids on the ground so it will be a game of figure out who goes to who :p

GoofyGoat, Sfgwife, MadHouse and 3 others like this.
  8. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

So would that be for your girls due on the 28th? Can't wait to see those babies. (woo)Wishing you smooth kiddings!

9. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Awww just do what I do..take your phone & take.pictures of them as they are born. Then grab a clean paper bag & write.down the weight length & height . My.phone on the details tells me the date time and where the pic was taken. All my records are there...then I can write it all down later...lol lol

10. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    The only ones out of those 11/28 that is not bred is Cherry and Sally. The rest are bred. And honestly those two I did not really witness Snot chasing them when he got in. They were in heat but not being in his face in heat when I got him out. I have NEVER had this many not settle even when I had 70 does! But I’m going to see what Jasmine is up to and DNA some of these unknown kids and see. Then decide if he is worth keeping another year and see if he was young and dumb or no good. I have a feeling if he is not the sire to anything he’s no good. Although now that I’m thinking about it maybe if one of these girls come into heat I’ll get a zip lock bag or something and “collect” him and put it under a microscope. If there are swimmers he should be good next year.
    Lol Moers at this point nothing died or is dying so it sucks but I know it could be worse. I’ll tell ya though. It doesn’t matter how much of a pain it is to get the girls out of the field to ultrasound, I have this dang thing and I will make sure I am not in this situation again! So live and learn.
    And yes I will get you pictures as they come. I won’t have as many for you to choose from but I’ll have something for you I’m sure lol

11. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Your goats are beautiful! I’m sure you’ll have some absolutely lovely kids!

12. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry you have so many open. Hopefully they will get bred soon for you.

13. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hey...I can wait...Ill get to see what you have all year! Yeah ! I can be picky...lol lol. As soon as I see your dappled kidds I go crazy..they are always sooooo cute!

AndersonRanch and MadHouse like this.
  14. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

We might have some calf sized tags here... i can count them and see how ma y i have if you need me to.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020 at 10:40 PM
  15. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Oh wow you are going to be super busy! They are all beautiful and can not wait to see your babies! I'm sorry about the 6 that are open, that is a bummer, but hopefully you can get them bred for spring kids :)
    I have to say I think if your weather has been as weird as ours, then maybe that is a culprit? I have a friend that has had some not get bred, and they've been in with a proven buck. Our buck came in rut in early July, so weird, normally they come in around August 1st. 4 of our girls due end of Dec, 5th we sold possibly bred (need to check in and see if she took), and 6th ended up not being bred but looked like she was pregnant.
    Our buck went back out of rut end of August, then late Sept he came into serious, stinky, yucky rut. We had 3 does we were waiting to breed so they'd kid about the time the 1st group would be ready to wean, and never saw any signs of heat from them until Oct 14th, 1 came in heat. Next morning she was done with the buck, and had the other 3 come in heat. It was crazy in that buck pen, does mounting each other, buck mounting doe, doe mounting buck... lol! But we never saw him cover the doe that was possibly due end of Dec.
    So as I posted in Goat Frenzy, we did blood at 33-34 days, and she is possibly bred, along with the one he bred on 14th. So I am confident they are probably fine, but won't be satisfied until I get a positive result. I really should look into having a vet ultrasound or just make myself wait until they are 40 days post bred to pull blood. I was impatient but also figured it would be better to do prior to Thanksgiving week since they only test on Wednesdays lol.

16. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Thank you guys!
    Sfwife that is very kind, thank you! I will be ok. If they cross their legs and wait I should get these in time. I got a email this evening saying my package was on the way. And if they don’t maybe I can put marker on random places and good off that until they come. ORRRR hopefully they are colorful enough that they all look different lol that is one thing that I do enjoy about color, most usually have some mark that is different then all the rest.
    HoosierShadow now that I have calmed down and Moers called me I’m not going to send him off to the sale just yet. It was a very weird year! I know a lot of people had issues with their goats cycling late but it was kinda the opposite for me. Usually they go into heat after I wean kids. They will have 1 heat and then stop until end of June start of July. This year they started cycling about a month after kidding and wouldn’t stop. I am actually kidding earlier because I just couldn’t stand them screaming any more. I think the last two months the bucks have been more in rut then they have all year long. Lamar who is usually my docile quite boy is being a noisy boy and has brine scald all over his face and legs. So I’m just going to calm down, see what happens with Jasmine, probably DNA all those unknown doe kids being born and then decide what to do with him.
    I’m going to hate having to put life on hold for a second kidding season but I’ll live threw it because babies will make it worth it.
    I’ve been bad about posting pictures but I’ll get some tomorrow. Most of these girls if they sneeze those kids are going to come flying out.

17. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Geez girl only 500 things to get done..lol!
    Oh my, you DO have your hands full don’t you. Can I suggest different color yarn to color code the kids and dam until tags come in. Just make a makeshift collar for a couple days. Just a thought.
    I’m thinking it just a combination of thing why your girls are/were open. Young and dumb, the fires and smoke And the weather. Animals won’t breed if there’s danger and the fires y’all had certainly count as danger. I’d give him another chance personally.
    Happy kidding! Sending lots of pink thoughts your way!

18. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Dang that's a a real bummer, really unusual for a 1 year old buck to have a high failure rate like that. He was with them more than 3 weeks? I mean, duh, you know what you are doing.

Looking forward to seeing the start of your winter kiddings next week!