The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe Helen always has rather pale eye membranes. When I do fecals, they show few or no worm eggs. ATM she's very pale. Two fecals done over the past week have shown 1 worm egg each.

She's acting perfectly healthy, good appetite and weight, and both her kids (still nursing on her and almost 3 months old) are healthy, and have pink membranes. :shrug:

I have Red Cell, but in the past when I have given it it hasn't seemed to make a difference. I also have B complex oral and injectable (though the latter may be outdated - I'll have to look). What should I do? :help:

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
Blood loss caused by internal injury or Worm load is the number one cause of anemia but, but I think you would know if they were hurt lol and since fecals are comingup clean I would suspect Diet which can effect iron levels as well...I was just reading on this since a few of my girls are paler thanusualy as well, Its not just what they eat but the quality....Here in Texas with the drought our hay quality is much lower than a few years ago..Alfalfa is dry and/or stemmy..just not as yummy as even last season....feeding iron rich foods could help, like fresh green leaves, ( my poor trees lol)
I would only supplement with iron if they are very pale and weak, lathargic acting but B complex is always a welcome vitamin to add daily...and wont hurt..Ill be looking to see what plants we can add to the diet to increase iron but then you have to be careful not to feed too much that it interferes with copper UGHso much to learn about balance lol..this is a job for goathiker!! :D

·
Super Moderator
59,770 Posts
That may be normal for her. Is she sick in any way? Are there any other signs that would point to a problem? If she is healthy in every other way, then that may just be the way she is.

·
1,524 Posts
Liver flukes will cause massive bleeding internally (in the liver) and do not readily show up on fecals.

Try de-worming with something like Ivermectin plus, Prohibit or Valbazen that contain a flukicide.

Liver Fluke med doses:

Ivomec+ at 1cc per 30lb
Valbazen 1cc per 10 pounds
Levamisole cattle injectable 3cc per 100 pounds
Prohibit 2cc orally per 50 pounds.

·
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses!

@happybleats, that is an interesting observation. She is currently in a small pen and getting very little fresh feed - just alfalfa, grain, and ryegrass hay. It's time to wean her kids anyway, so I can move her in with the other does.

@Ksalvagno, you're probably right. She's always paler than my other goats, even though she's healthy. But right now she is paler than usual.

@lottsagoats, that is a possibility. As far as I know we have no liver fluke snails on the property, and there are other things that lead me to believe that liver fluke isn't the problem, but if it is I certainly don't want to dismiss it. I don't use chemical wormers, but I know that garlic and some other herbs will expel liver fluke, so I'll probably just dose her with one or more of those.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
how's the copper in your area? have you bolused her? copper helps the formation of red blood cells.

my girls are both pale...always been pale. no worms, have given them ivomec and had fecals come out clean. I recently gave them a bolus so I can't say if they're getting pinker..i think they are but it maybe wishful thinking.

I've given red cell without any improvement. maybe iron injection?

·
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point, but yes, she was bolused almost 3 months ago. She's due for it again in a few days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts