The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 month old boer buck that had a worm problem 3 weeks ago. We first wormed with cydectin twice in about a week. Then he started getting bottle jaw and had pale eyes so we switched wormers to valbazen and started treating with red cell. Unfortunately our vet doesn't do fecals. :( He dosent act sick, he is still eating all his feed and hasn't lost any weight. I heard it takes a few weeks for his eyes to get color and for the bottle jaw to go away but i was wondering what else i could do for him. Some days it will be really little and some days it will be huge. I just wanted to make sure this is normal for it to change a lot until he gets better.

I had another thread that ive been using but its really old and got a little confusing, so i decided to make another one thats hopefully clearer. Any thing i need to change or start doing? Thank you. :)

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
You could mail a fecal in. I would also ask if your vet would send in the fecal sample to your state lab.

It does take a while for the anemia to go away.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So i could just send a sample somewhere? Thats pretty cool (well if sending people poo can be cool). Do you think i could look up and call an out of town vet that will do it and send them it? Ill try that, there is an animal hospital thats a good bit away but then again closer than another vet, i was thinking about calling them and asking if they do regular checkup things like this or if its emergency only stuff, and if they even can care for goats. (I've never had to go to an animal hospital before thank goodness)

I read today on here about giving iron shots, do you think that would help better than red cell?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just read this on another anemia thread "Nutrient absorptlessened" what is it and do i need to give it to him?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok i finally got ahold of an out of town vet. She said to try cydectin and that valbazen might be resistant. And only worm them when they get sick. Instead of on schedule. I asked if i should bring him in for a fecal but she said to try cydectin for a few weeks and if it dosent work to call her again, that we didnt need a fecal? Does that even sound right? Should i take him for a fecal anyway?

Im out with them at least once a day, and we have only had him for a few months, but i dont really remember how big he was when we got him. I know he was 3 months and 60 lbs. and now hes 7 months and 85-90 lbs (?) but i dont really think hes grown much. I know they go through growth spurts and he was a single kid but shouldn't he be at least 100 by now? We saw his dad when we were there and he was at least 300 lbs and huge so i thought he would be bigger? I've never had boers before or bucks, ive only raised mixed breed does so i have no idea. What age do they stop growing? Any tips?

But i have a nanny that is due to kid sometime this year, ive heard to give them something (i forgot) 10 days before they kid then worm them the day they kid. What should i use on her, and when should i use it? Should i make another thread about it?

Thank you for all of the help yall are amazing. :)

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
No that does not sound right...for a vet to say worm first then get a fecal?? hummm...usally a fecal first to show what worm load needs to be treated so you know what wormer is best...I would find another vet and get a fecal done..You dont need to take the goat in..just a scoop of his poop :D
Any wormer can be resistant if over used...Valbazen still works for me..

For your doe...C D And T is good to give afew months before kidding..then yes, worm the day she kids...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didnt think it sounded right either, i mean even i could guess random wormers to use but i would like to know exactly what is wrong. I dont know if she was an assistant or if she really was the vet. I mean our dog and horse vet wouldn't even look at him, thats why we had to get a different vet for the goats. So ill give her a point for at least trying to help haha.

Im going look for some different ones decently close i can call and maybe send them samples instead of driving all the way there. Heck the first vet was 45 min away and this one was around 1 hour away so im looking in a pretty big range. lol :) if i can't find one before Monday im sending the samples in to the link that someone gave me a few days ago on here. (Sorry i forgot who sent it, i haven't read over this thread in a while) How would I go by mailing samples? A ziplock bag in a ziplock bag in and envelope or something? My parents are going to think im crazy for wanting to mail goat crap to someone haha i can already see how that conversation is going to go lol. :p

thank you again :)

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
LOL...i think a baggie should work ..no ice pack needed LOL..the lab web sight should give you full instructions...

When a fecal is not possible...choosing a broad base wormer is the next best thing...not knowing what you are dealing with you are kind of shooting in the dark...Ivomec plus (1 cc per 40# sub q)and Valbazen (1 cc per 10# orally) cover more worms including liver fluke..Valbazen covers tape worms as well but needs to be used 3 days in a row for that...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha thanks ill look at the site again. :D

Ok so i dont even use all these wormers but i just want to know if i have every thing right and its a good thing to me to memorize for the future. :) does anyone have any corrections, tips, or answers? I just kinda want to make myself a list of good or bad wormers incase i need them one day. Thank you :)

- valbazen- 1cc per 10 lb
On what schedule do you give it on? Is this the wormers you give 3 days back to back then 10 days later? You don't give it to pregnant does but you can give it to kids right?

-Safeguard cow wormer- dose?
I used this a few years ago but forgot the dose? It gets tapeworm but dosent work on alot of other worms usually right? (I remember it not working well so i won't use it again, but its nice to have it written down so i remember)

-Safeguard goat wormer- ive never used it. How good does it work? Anything i need to know about it?

-Cydectin pour on cattle wormer- 1cc per 70 lbs?
I used it on a goat the first day i noticed bottle jaw and it was gone the next day so it works pretty good, but when i ran out i changed wormers. But now im using it again so any schedule i need to go by? I haven't used it in a while. Is there any specific ones i dont need to give it to like pregnant or does with kids on them? Or should i not use it on kids?

-feed wormers- when we had 2 pet goats we fave them that but i was too little to remember so how good does it work? Any good brands?

Sorry for so many questions, and thank you for any suggestions yall have :)

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
- valbazen- 1cc per 10 lb
On what schedule do you give it on? Is this the wormers you give 3 days back to back then 10 days later? You don't give it to pregnant does but you can give it to kids right?
Yes, 1 cc per 10 #, not for prego does, great for kids. Good for Tape worms when used 3 days in a row...No schedual, I worm as needed using the famancha score chart or fecal
-Safeguard cow wormer- dose?
I used this a few years ago but forgot the dose? It gets tapeworm but dosent work on alot of other worms usually right? (I remember it not working well so i won't use it again, but its nice to have it written down so i remember)
COrrect..its not very usful for any worms other than tape, but you have to dose pretty high for three days..able says 1 cc per 5# for goats need 3 times the label dose so 3 cc per 5#( from what I read) Maybe some one who uses it will chime in

-Safeguard goat wormer- ive never used it. How good does it work? Anything i need to know about it?
same as all safe guard..it doesnt work any more for many unless you are treating tape worm

-Cydectin pour on cattle wormer- 1cc per 70 lbs?
I used it on a goat the first day i noticed bottle jaw and it was gone the next day so it works pretty good, but when i ran out i changed wormers. But now im using it again so any schedule i need to go by? I haven't used it in a while. Is there any specific ones i dont need to give it to like pregnant or does with kids on them? Or should i not use it on kids?
I dont use Cydectin, so maybe someone else canchime in onthis one

-feed wormers- when we had 2 pet goats we fave them that but i was too little to remember so how good does it work? Any good brands?
Not recommended, you cannot be sure each goat is getting what he or she needs, many get too little of theneeded medication causing a resistance to the medication

With worming Fecals are our best defence agains resistance..knowing the worm your goats have and treating with appropriate wormer and using correct amount is the best way to fight worm load along with cleaning the pens and paddocks. Famancha charch is another good resource, although it doesnt tell you what worm your goat is dealing with..it lets you know thereis a problem..when using this method, choose a broad base wormer such as valbanzen or Ivomec Plus which get the liver fluke where others do not...
Ivomec plus is 1 cc per 40# sub q...some give this orally ..I do not recommend orally if your goat is heavy loaded..oral is fine for a booster worming
for ex: Doe is heavy loaded you give Iv PLus Sub Q..ten days later you give it orally..ect...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If i gave him valbazen Saturday, how long should i wait to give him cydectin? I was thinking Tuesday but i wasent real sure.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
It's best to wait ten days between worming... Give the last dose a chance to work

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Someone today said i could give him fortified b complex? The only place i could find it is Jeffers but ive never ordered from there. About how long does it take to get something shipped? What does it do? How do you give it and how much? If i get a big bottle so i can always have some around how long will it last if i keep it inside?

Thank you :)

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Fortified b complex is all the B's with a larger dose of thiamine . It is good any time a goat is off at all, stressed or just needs some energy. B complex is also good for this but when polio is possible the fortified gives what the goat needs. So if one can only buy one b complex, fortified is the one to get. The dose is 5-10 cc sub q . The bottle last depending on how much and how often is used. I store all my mess in the frig to help it last longer. Always be sanitary with the rubber seal, cleaning between each use.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts