The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asking a couple weeks ago about whether they were healthy. Both doelings have glossy coats. They act like goats should, frisky and energetic.

Ruby was getting clumpy stools, so I took it to the vet and they said roundworms. Talked to me about using Panacur, though they labeled it as Safeguard when they portioned it out of the bottle. They gave me doses for all three goats. I have dosed the little girls, but we underestimated Bree's weight by 15-20 lbs if my tape measure is to be believed (got a dose for 125lbs, and she measures for 140-145) and I don't want to give her too low a dose and build up resistance.

I hadn't checked ruby's eyelids, and I am kicking myself for that. She is pretty pale, especially when compared to Tulip (who is probably more pale than is ideal) and Bree (who has a good bit of pink in hers). Ruby had her lid stitched when she was born, due to it rolling out wards. It's not as easy to check her inner lid for color due to this.

I also looked more at her. She has a worn spot by her shoulders. She also may be thinning on the tip of her tail.

Is there any more I should be doing for her?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Picture of her eye

Attachments

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my iPad, couldn't load all in one message since they all have the same file name. This is the worn spot on her shoulder.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't get copper locally that I have found so far, but I placed an order for it earlier and it should be in this next week.

I will see if I can get red cell from a local store that does normally stock it.

I am assuming the best route for selenium is getting BoSe from a vet?

After this, I am going the herbals route. Rather do prevention.

·
Super Moderator
58,855 Posts
You can just buy the liqiud Safeguard at TSC or your local feed store. Dose at 1cc per 10 lbs. Better to overdose than underdose.

·
2,203 Posts
Check for lice while you're at it...whenever a bald spot is found on shoulder always suspect lice or mites. They like to hide there as the goat can't properly reach.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used Safeguard liquid wormer on the little girls. While she mentioned quadrupling, it was dosed at 1cc per 20lbs. Should I repeat a dose then, since it was about half of what you mentioned? I have Safeguard paste on hand, just not the liquid.

I have yet to worm the doe. I have 7.25ccs for her. I am guessing she needs to be doubled too? And I am guessing I should give her the full dose at one time, instead of giving what I have on hand?

Since they did not dose that aggressively, should I repeat dosing sooner than two weeks, like they recommended? In other words, if you wanted to dose a goat who had roundworms, how frequently would you dose them with safeguard? Or would you go for another class of wormer with the doelings? I know the doe is limited in what we can use, since she is both in milk and (hopefully) pregnant.

I ordered Molly's herbal wormer last night, and plan to get the little girls on it as soon as it gets here (and use the preggo safe variety on the doe).

·
Super Moderator
58,855 Posts
Safeguard should be done 3 days in a row. Then repeat in 2 weeks if you have a big load.

Paste is done at 3-4 times the horse dose.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, will get more tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wait, so I can just go ahead and use the paste? I'll use that up first then.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whew, I have driven so much today (child had a field trip two hours one way away from here, and about the time we got home, my husband called and told me he locked his keys in the truck in town, which meant 30 more miles one way). I will use that on them then.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How often do you give Red Cell? My doelings, particularly Ruby, seem to really like it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I've done three days of dewormer on them all. Doelings got three days of RedCell in them too (doe doesn't look anemic, so I didn't want to overdo it with her). Not seeing any obvious signs of adult worms or anything, and provided the weather cooperates, I will be out there tomorrow to scrape out the barn (today the weather is horrible). Today Ruby was shivering a little bit, but her temp was normal. It was just windy and cold as heck (and drizzling) when we took her up to the garage to feed and med her (just the RedCell this morning).

If I repeat two weeks out from now, will it also be a three day course?

In case we are dealing with lice/mites (we did early on with the little girls), what should I use on the doe? I want to use something lactation/hopeful pregnancy safe. Both doelings look slightly worn on the shoulders. The doe, being a reddish goldish roan color, is very hard to tell, but she may be a little worn there too. I haven't spotted bugs, but I haven't looked too hard.

·
Super Moderator
58,855 Posts
Was it a big load of worms? If it was a big load, then I would repeat in 10 days. Do 3 days again.

If eyelids are dark pink then you should be good on red cell.

You can use injectible Ivomec which you do need to inject or you can use Sevin Dust or Livestock Dust on them for lice.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ivomec sounds like a plan. I am guessing I could use it as a double whammy at ten days out to kill both any remaining worms and lice or mites that might be bothering them.

Some places say to orally dose the ivomec. Is that when primarily using for gastrointestinal parasites?

On the RedCell front, I have been dosing at 6ccs per 100lbs 2xday x 3days. I'll check their eyes this morning.

Still waiting on arrival of Copasure.

·
Super Moderator
58,855 Posts
If you are doing the Ivomec for lice, then it really should be injected. It will still take care of other parasites too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts