The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home to our little buckling just laying down. He is not tame so I knew when I was able to walk over and pet him something was wrong. His eye lids are very pale. I gave him 3 cc of ivomec, 1 cc of iron and 5 cc of probios. Is there anything else I can do for him?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
You have a good start there, a fecal would help you know which worm you are dealing with....Only Valbazen and Ivomec plus workson Liver fluke, so if he is dealing with LF you will need to retreat with one of those two wormers...3 times 10 days apart thenonce more in 30 days...Vit B 12 will help as well as High protien foods to help him rebuild his red blood cells...this takes time..not a quick fix...make sure he is eating and drinking..best wishes
here is a great article on anemia
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went out to check on him again. I got caught in the pouring rain earlier. He is at least standing and he tried to run away from me this time. I take that as a good sign. I have vitamin b that I can give him a shot of tomorrow, I just didn't want to overdo it today. The iron is the 1st shot I've ever given a goat, my husband usually does it for me, but he's on the road and I knew something had to be done fast.

·
Pixie13
207 Posts
If you can order some Ironcyclene that is a wonderful iron drench you can use to help him get back on his feet. Vitamin C injections or powder are also helpful.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Glad he is up and running..lol..You can also use Red Cell for oral iron Supplement..Green leaves will do him good as well..

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If you can order some Ironcyclene that is a wonderful iron drench you can use to help him get back on his feet. Vitamin C injections or powder are also helpful.
Ironcyclene? I've never heard of that......where do you get it?

·
Pixie13
207 Posts
You can get it from a place called horse supplies direct. It is a little pricey, but then you don't have to give the iron shots. I hate giving those. I have had a few goats react to iron injections before:( Sorry I misspelled it. It is Ironcyclen. No e at the end. It is a company out of Australia. Happybleats is right too. Redcell is also a good iron supplement.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ruger is doing ok this morning. He was at least standing up when I checked on him. I gave him more Probios. I wish all this rain would stop. I need to move him to a different lot so I can give him more attention and I plan to do that this morning.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Keep up the red cell/iron shots....when I have an anemic I use red cell daily for a week then once a week until I see some color back in the eyes..B 12 helps the process as well as high protien foods...So glad he is up for you...that is a very good sign...If wormes are the cause I worm 3 times ten days apart then once gain in 30 days ..I would also use Valbazen or Ivomec plus to be sure to get liver fluke. Best wishes

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it ok to give iron shots everyday?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
For injectable iron I would dose for two days then weekly there after..although the rebuilding of red blood cells are slow....I would worry about over doseing with the injectable.. Vit B 12 can be given daily safely..

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I have given him Vit B, Probios, Calf Manna & Noble goat feed, fresh green leaves and I've seen him drink. He's still pitiful but I'm doing all I know to do.

I will probably give him another shot of iron this evening.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
It takes time for them to recover...supportive care is all you can do right now...Do take his temp to be sure he is not running a fever..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts